Built in AC inverter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my truck interior pretty well disassmbled. I'm thinking about running 12v power back to the D pillar area where the jack is stored and hiding an AC inverter in that panel.

Curious if anybody else has done this and how it turned out and or if there are better suggestions? I may run a relay for the inverter and put a switch on the dash too as I'm a bit scared about it heating up and catching the truck on fire lol

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Tahoes have these standard. A 150 watt unit I believe. Not too useful except to run a light or charge a phone maybe. Have to be careful with these. That power has to come from somewhere. Consider a 240 watt AC 120 volt power needs a feed of 240 + watts at 12 volts.

2 amps AC from 20 amps DC.

Want to make some coffee you're looking at way over 100 amps from the battery. Best way to do this is to put a second alternator on and run the engine while using the inverter.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to charge drone batteries and things like that.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Hit up the junk yards and find some old Pontiac Montanas or their twins. They had a 110V plug out back and the little box behind the panel on the right just forward of the jacking tools. We used them a lot and thought about retrofitting it to the Yukon but it's not a high priority.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the AC inverter for Pontiac Montana online. Was pretty easy. Curious how the wiring harness is routed / how it hooks into the electrical. Any ideas where there might be drawings / wiring diagrams for it?

upload_2020-3-4_11-15-43.png

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found an even better place. the other pillar has a cigarette plug. It also has vent / air intake for rear AC / heat exchanger so could get airflow / cooling over the inverter.

I could just use that 12 volt power and swap plug for inverter / AC.

Curious though. I should probably upgrade the wires used for aux power plugs. My only worry is that my 800 watt inverter would heat up those electrical lines. possibly start a fire.

curious if anybody knows of somebody who has cut into the aux power bus and restrung larger wire?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found an even better place. the other pillar has a cigarette plug. It also has vent / air intake for rear AC / heat exchanger so could get airflow / cooling over the inverter.

That's also where the tire inflator hooks up. Always surprised that the full-size trucks didn't get this option either.

How about getting power at the trailer harness?

My 2006 SV6 Montana had the trailer wiring harness plug into the auto-leveling compressor! Weirdest thing, took me forever to figure out!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I could just use that 12 volt power and swap plug for inverter / AC.

Curious though. I should probably upgrade the wires used for aux power plugs. My only worry is that my 800 watt inverter would heat up those electrical lines. possibly start a fire.

curious if anybody knows of somebody who has cut into the aux power bus and restrung larger wire?

You can get wiring diagrams off autozone.com
Sign up for free account then add a vehicle.... click on Repair Help>Vehicle Repair Guides>Wiring Diagrams