Building the SS(V) TrailHoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
It’s days like the one pictured that make me question myself on whether to upgrade this further or get something newer.
23B4608F-1468-4F2E-9C5F-7C02019D9DDC.jpeg

This photo only shows the flat easy spot at the pass, not the torturous trail to get there. Nor the descent on the other side. It was NASTY. Rock ledges, waterfalls, basketball sized boulders littered the trail. People on quads were offloading passengers to get through the bad spots. Didn’t see another street legal vehicle, nothing but quads and SxS.

And the old girl just crawled up and over, not really struggling. ATV riders complemented me on making it look easy. I’ve had a bunch of 4x4 vehicles, and this platform is more capable than most. The only street legal vehicle I’ve had that could top it was a heavily modified Jeep with front and rear lockers.

So maybe she WILL get another season at bat. And if not, a newer GMT 900 is probably my solution.

Decisions, decisions…

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Navigated some long shelf road sections in CO today.

View attachment 351011

Stopped for lunch at this spot with nothing but high peaks in all directions, and came to a kind of bittersweet decision. This will be the Tahoe’s last trip with us out to places like this.

One of my goals this summer was to assess the build and decide whether to proceed with more mods, or move on. The Hoe may stay in the fleet and stay closer to home, but the potential consequences of mechanical failure in an area like this are just too severe. So I’ll be getting something new or newer for future exploring.

For the kind of places we like to go, it just makes sense to stay in the sweet spot of a machine’s reliability, which is neither the first 90 days nor 13 years+ of age.
Well, sort of like the weather, I’ve changed my mind. We have been kicking around ideas for what to take on our 2022 expedition; newer Hoe, new Wrangler Rubicon, 4Runner, or the Bronco. After many conversations and wandering around car lot we’ve decided nothing suits us quite as well as the purpose built TrailHoe. Even a newer GMT900 Hoe would present a new set of unknowns.

So, I’ll proceed to fix up the few known to me weaknesses, and then the old girl will get a trip to the dealer where I’ll pay them a few hours labor to inspect it front to rear and identify anything potentially leaving me trailside with a no-start situation. Depending on their findings, I’ll probably just have them fix anything they can find.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
On my to-do list:

Replace the G80, probably with a TruTrac; possibly a selectable locker.

New radiator, water pump, ‘stat.

Replace the rotten wire harness loom in high heat areas.

Replace the damaged wiring plug for the FPCM ( thank you CBP).

Check / clean grounds.

New front struts (Fox if I can get them).

Paint the rocker panels and adjacent under body with Raptor Liner.

Last but not least: throw that damned Pioneer in the trash and get another head unit. :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Any suggestions on additional reliability components to replace are welcome!

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about air lockers front and rear which also gives really good on board air. Being able to unlock both ends makes for much tighter turns. That can help a lot in tight spaces.

My very cool neighbors have been taking my wife and I four wheeling in two of their SxS and with lockers front and rear on their 900 RZR places it looks like they can make a turn they have to take a couple of shots to do it. Meanwhile their larger KRX can be switched and makes the turns.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
@PatDTN those have definitely figured into my thinking; unfortunately no lockers are made for the GM 8.25 in the front. I would have to convert to the 9.5 from a 2500. Which has been done by someone on here, but it’s not a simple bolt on.

After some serious off roading last year I found the traction control system to be fairly effective at putting torque to the wheels with traction.

I didn’t encounter any situations where lack of torque bias kept me from proceeding, but I would cringe every time I needed to put my foot into it enough to persuade the Gov-lock to engage with the big tires.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Replaced the floor vinyl in the seating area with new OEM. It had a hole under the driver’s heel.

While I was in there I put down some Dynamat under the jute. First drive I can’t really notice any difference. Previously I did the door skins and rear hatch which did make an obvious reduction in road noise.

bobsburban

Reaction score
@Bill 1960, I don't know if you've gotten to the radiator yet but I'm really liking my Cold Case aluminum unit. Granted, it's in the 40s in SE Tennessee right now but I'm seeing 185 max on a 210 thermostat with a Tru-Cool 40k directly in front of the the radiator. Never exceeded 210 pulling a 4200-ish lb Winnebago over the pass in the Guadalupe Mountains earlier this month.

Edit: no affiliation, yada, yada, just a satisfied customer.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the floor vinyl in the seating area with new OEM. It had a hole under the driver’s heel.

While I was in there I put down some Dynamat under the jute. First drive I can’t really notice any difference. Previously I did the door skins and rear hatch which did make an obvious reduction in road noise.

Did the Dynamat on the door skins make a difference when closing the doors? Mine sound like vault doors when they slam shut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2