building new garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
building a 24x50 building this spring. 12 foot sidewalls. my question is how many of you guys have lifts in you're personal garages? I'm totally on board im just wanting to know what you guys like better a 4 or 2 post lift? pros and cons of each. I got a waste oil heater and storage tank already to keep her warm during the cold Iowa winters, everything is figured out except what lift to get. thanks for any input and opinions.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, jealous. Second, what you are wanting to use the lift for?

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything lol. oil changes suspension work brake jobs. anything and everything that can or will pop up with owning 2 vehicles plus in the near future 3 kids that will be getting cars.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 post should do everything you need. i used to use my 2 post for my dodge 3500 crew cab with no issues.

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaning more towards a 2 post. it's always nice to hear others thoughts and input.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything lol. oil changes suspension work brake jobs. anything and everything that can or will pop up with owning 2 vehicles plus in the near future 3 kids that will be getting cars.
2 post.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO 4 poster with a center jack, way more stable and you have a nice place to rest tool's, parts and such. Also a lot nicer for getting in and out of the vehicle for interior work. Unless you know your gonna eventually have a powerstroke then you need a 2 post lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can spare the space and extra cost, get a 4-post. Otherwise get a 2-post (a clear-floor design). I have a 30x40x12 metal building. I went with metal because the wood frame had trusses that would interfere with a lift. With a 2:12 pitch, I should be able to fit one of the wider 12' lifts with a few inches to spare. The relatively small 30x40 work space limits me to a 2-post. But I can store the arms up so the only obstacles would be the posts. You could do the same with a 4-post, but you'll have 4 posts in your work space that will seem to always be in the way.

As far as brand/model, it generally comes down to either the cheap Chinese knock-offs or the high-dollar big name brands. I never found any reports of injuries or deaths or even any major failures from the Chinese lifts when I was researching this a couple years ago. They seem to be plenty solid except for some of their wear parts wearing out much faster than they do on the big name brands. For non-commercial use, I'd say they're ok. There are some more established name brands that are actually certified. I don;t know where all my research notes went to or I'd share. I still keep my eyes open for a Bend-Pak, Rotary or Challenger being sold from a shop going out of business. Or, better yet, a State auction. The LA DOTD maintenance department is required to replace their lifts every few years. They use stuff like Mohawk and Bend-Pak and they maintain their equipment just as well as their trucks. I'm never in a position to spend when they have the State auctions, though.

Spanky

Reaction score
I have a 4 post lift and a mid rise lift. I'm more of a body guy than mechanical stuff. I've used 2 posts before but have no desire for one. the mid rise lift gets the most use, perfect for doing a polish/wax job or brakes, tires etc. nothing is in your way.
I bought the 4 post originally for storage, but I have used it quite a bit lately changing out some air ride and steering columns.
On your garage, look at putting up a couple of taller clearance joists where you think you might put a hoist/lift in.

Pitterpat

Reaction score
building a 24x50 building this spring. 12 foot sidewalls. my question is how many of you guys have lifts in you're personal garages? I'm totally on board im just wanting to know what you guys like better a 4 or 2 post lift? pros and cons of each. I got a waste oil heater and storage tank already to keep her warm during the cold Iowa winters, everything is figured out except what lift to get. thanks for any input and opinions.
Take a look at this site, http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ , you'll get a lot of good ideas, especially on lifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts