Buffeting / Vibrations/ cabin ear pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Not sure this is the same thing but both my 15 Denali and 07 Burb would drive you crazy if you had both back seat windows down without having the front seat window down. Other than that I have never noticed any issues...

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is the same thing but both my 15 Denali and 07 Burb would drive you crazy if you had both back seat windows down without having the front seat window down. Other than that I have never noticed any issues...

It’s not that. It’s too bad there isn’t a sticky on this issue. It would save countless threads/posts lol.

1) vibration at speed (over 75mph) called the ‘chevy shake’. Sometimes resolved by RFB and alignments. Sometimes not.
2) a booming noise between 15-40mph but mostly over road joints etc. almost like you’re inside a subwoofer or drum. Pressure on the ears and some get sick from it.
3) buffeting 15-40mph. Feels/sounds like one of the windows is cracked but it’s not. Sometimes booming and buffering go together. There is a TSB for this but results are mixed.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most vehicles create this issue with only rear windows down. THe buffeting issue with this truck and what people are referring to occurs with windows closed...similar feeling...ear pressure and slight buffeting sound as if only the rear windows are open.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will only chime in, in response to OP in this thread. After reading about the buffeting on here, I have rented 4 16-18 yukons/tahoes, one being a yukon xl and I never heard a thing in any of them. When buying my 19, nerves were up, and would've sworn I felt the pressure and the swinging feeling in my head when we went for the test drive. I psyched myself up so much while signing the papers, I was sick. Even leaving the dealership, @goodinblack gave me a call and I still could feel something. After my nerves settled and I drove it more, the feeling went away and I haven't experienced it since. One thing I will note, the tires and terrible flat spots when I test drove and probably 20 miles after leaving the dealer.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will only chime in, in response to OP in this thread. After reading about the buffeting on here, I have rented 4 16-18 yukons/tahoes, one being a yukon xl and I never heard a thing in any of them. When buying my 19, nerves were up, and would've sworn I felt the pressure and the swinging feeling in my head when we went for the test drive. I psyched myself up so much while signing the papers, I was sick. Even leaving the dealership, @goodinblack gave me a call and I still could feel something. After my nerves settled and I drove it more, the feeling went away and I haven't experienced it since. One thing I will note, the tires and terrible flat spots when I test drove and probably 20 miles after leaving the dealer.

Which one did you end up buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Fontana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just bought a new-to-me 2018 Yukon XL and have been experiencing a lot of ear pressure (almost like being on a plane) while driving it. It seems to be related to the suspension noise resonating through the cabin. I’ve read where this has been an issue for a lot of folks but was hoping GM had figured it out by the 2018 model year, but haven’t seen where a fix has been found. Has anybody with same issue found/heard of any fixes?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer has a list of things to try... unfortunately these items dont always resolve it.

-get rid of crap GM bridgestone tires (have dealer get you something of quality)
-road force balance your new tires
(rim size doesnt seem to matter)
-update roof reinforcements
-change out front &/or rear driveshaft
-replace entire rear end/differential
-disable AFM w/ either range device or a tune
-change body mounts (this is new update on 17's, *** still doesnt fix issue)

for now it seems most vehicles either have the issue or not. most have. there is no rhyme or reason.
i have a '15 ltz burb 4x4 (w/ 6ok)... no issues so far. <knock on wood>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64