Buffeting / Vibrations/ cabin ear pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidnightRider

Reaction score
I love our 18 Tahoe. Best driving and riding vehicle I have ever driven. Maybe not as fun as a Tesla tho! It has 20 inch wheels if that matters. That said, if a rear window is rolled down the buffeting (I guess that is what it is) will about take your head off but it is quickly remedied by cracking a front window. Also the 18 does not do this with the sunroof open like our 02 did which we could never find a remedy for. This problem has very little relevance to the functionality of our truck and I will take that bad with all the good any day. Going on 13k with no problems. Again, love it!

CTSVbecker

Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah this was all windows up and really no noise but you could feel a little pressure on the ears fluctuate as we drove. Super weird feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah this was all windows up and really no noise but you could feel a little pressure on the ears fluctuate as we drove. Super weird feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can you wait a year? The redesigned 2020’s come out Q2/Q3 of next year. The suspension will be totally different too, IBRS, hopefully for a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
When looking at used, I drove a number of Tahoes and Yukons specifically looking for known issues. Didn't really know what I was looking for until I drove a Tahoe that had just come in from lease. There was something off a bit with that car from the moment I started it and drove off the lot. I couldn't even complete the test drive because I became so nauseated. From my experience in test driving, cars either have it or they don't, not sure if they will develop it or not. I looked for a year until I found a '16 Yukon that checked off most of my wish list - gave up the 20" tires for 18's but oh well. I've have it 10 months, put 13K miles on it and am very pleased with my purchase.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an LS with 18” wheels and no problems with vibrations or buffeting. The ride is punishing on extremely rough roads, but otherwise is good on all other road surfaces. An independent rear suspension will be an improvement as evidenced by the 18 Expedition Max that I test drove.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm staring to think there's a connection between the buffeting and the 22" wheels. Or else, the buffeting exists in the vehicles but something about the sound that the 22" wheels create or do not create makes it more obvious.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm staring to think there's a connection between the buffeting and the 22" wheels. Or else, the buffeting exists in the vehicles but something about the sound that the 22" wheels create or do not create makes it more obvious.

The "22s" can definitely make it worse or more difficult to get a handle on the buffeting but the issue is not the wheel size....More rubber basically creates a band aid affect.

dragginNCrds

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we just took our 16 Yukon XL on GM 22s on a 500+ mile road trip this weekend and had none of the issues described.. and rode just as smooth and quiet as could be.. im really impressed by how this bus rode.. and made good fuel mileage.. we did 450ish miles to a fill up..

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine had the buffering. Until I had the torque converter replaced and the tires road force balanced. once both of those were completed I have not felt the buffering. I have 20's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442