Buffeting and Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdeastbay

Reaction score
Quick background on my scenario, rented multiple 2015+ GM full size for work / family vacations and never experienced either. Bought a 16 Denali over labor day with an extensive test drive to eliminate any issues and so far so good. Yet I feel bad for folks who have to deal with the known issues. Swapping the Bridgestones for Goodyear and/or tire balance is one thing. But shooting in the dark on everything else would drive me nuts, esp if the dealer was giving me the run around. But it sounds like there are as many stand up dealers as those looking to pass the buck.

My background is high tech and when something of this magnitude presents itself all hands are called to deck to root cause the issue. And nothing stops until it's done. How can it be that GM has not nailed this? Or have they and are avoiding the worst case scenario of buy backs? Are the buffeting and vibration issues less from 2015 to 2016? And gone by 2017? And is there an idea on % of owners having the issue? Only reason I bring all of the above up is I'm confused that in this day and age it's still an ongoing issue for GM and their full size SUVs which drives most of their profit.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. As one who has had excellent service out of 4 previous full size GM suv's, I expected the same with this one. Actually, I expected better because I stepped up to a Denali.

Ralph Varick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You got lucky....Any GM SUV that has V8/V4 could have a vibration issue....poor design

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got lucky....Any GM SUV that has V8/V4 could have a vibration issue....poor design
Just grab a range AFM delete device and you'll no longer have a V4 mode. Problem solved. (If you think your vibration is due to AFM)

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vibration issue isn't always due to the AFM. In fact, I believe it's because of a poor design in the body/frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazsmir

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up my '15 Denali XL in late January with 22k miles. It drove like a dream. Now the inside of all my tires is worn, and a bad vibration has started and I'm at 34k miles. Factory Bridgestones are about shot and the dealer is going to get hell about it all. Its also started to be sluggish shifting and the transfer case makes noise when running in Auto/4WD. I have a scheduled appointment tomorrow; poor service manager is not going to like speaking to me in the morning.

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Michelin ltx premier tires and a Range Afm disabler solved the issues I had.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a '15 & have had not experienced this issue.

16's & 17's still have issues, but supposedly fewer than 15's
resolution is just as varied & complicated as the GM checklist for this issue.

so from reading a few forums, some of the more common fixes have been:
-get rid of bridgestone tires for something quality
-road force balance wheels
-change out front &/or rear driveshft
-disable AFM w/ either range device or a tune
-change body mounts (this is new update on 17's)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9