Budget Mid-Engine Pontiac Trolls the Drag Strip-- Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
What was the difference in the Typhoon and Syclone? I am surprised GM would "go outside the box" at the time and even build them. Very cool!

Syclone was a 2 door S-10 box body pickup.

Typhoon was a 2 door S-10 box body Blazer.

Both were 4.3L, water to air intercooled, turbo charged all wheel drive.

They were factory rated at 280HP/350LBFT.

Actual dyno numbers show them to be closer to 350/350. They supposedly under rated them for insurance reasons but in reality its probably because they didn't want a truck to be seen as a Corvette killer... lol

I have also heard they kept the rating to 280HP due to the 700R4/4L60E not being rated for more but not sure what the truth is.

0-60mph in 4.7-4.9 seconds ain't bad for a bove stock 4,000 lb truck.

Last edited:

kbuskill

Reaction score
*S15 ("Sonoma" or "Jimmy")

Well technically they were T-15's since they were "4x4".

I usually refer to them as an "S-10" to try and keep down confusion with the "uneducated". A lot of people, when you say Blazer, might confuse the full size "K-5" with the smaller "S-10".

For the uneducated folks, if you start trying to explain the difference between S-10's and T-15's or the K-5 and C-5, then there is the R's and V's... their eyes roll back in their heads and they tune out... lol

But basically you are correct.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well technically they were T-15's since they were "4x4".

I usually refer to them as an "S-10" to try and keep down confusion with the "uneducated". A lot of people, when you say Blazer, might confuse the full size "K-5" with the smaller "S-10".

For the uneducated folks, if you start trying to explain the difference between S-10's and T-15's or the K-5 and C-5, then there is the R's and V's... their eyes roll back in their heads and they tune out... lol

But basically you are correct.

It wasn't anything serious, bro! I was all into the S-series realm up until 2016, so I had to say something. :p

kbuskill

Reaction score
One was a little pick-up style truck (Jay Leno bought one new).

Clint Eastwood owned a Typhoon that was green with silver cladding/ground effects.

It was for sale at Mecum auto auction a couple years ago.

It was also in one of his movies (Absolute Power) for a brief couple of scenes.

He also mentioned it when he was on Jimmy Fallon's show.

kbuskill

Reaction score
It wasn't anything serious, bro! I was all into the S-series realm up until 2016, so I had to say something. :p

I have never really cared for the round body S-10s... or the "Chic" body style, as I call them. I've always been a box body guy. Although the restyled front end on the '98 and up wasn't as bad as the earlier years, IMO.

I have done complete body swaps and rebuilds on SEVERAL of the box body S-10 Blazers.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long before the C8 Corvette, GM made another mid engine sports car.

GM botched the first car (budget & political constraints -it couldn't be faster than the Corvette), but it can be saved with a modern engine upgrade and then easily troll its peers. Good times for not much $$$

Here is plenty of proof. beer.gif

Ken your Video is great. Could not help notice the sign on the Drag Strip; Rock Falls Raceway. We use to race our bikes on that strip in the 80's.[/ATTACH]

DSCF3549.JPG DSCF3552.JPG DSCF3553.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kenneth L Nielsen

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small world - that is cool. what kind of times were you running back in the day? I first heard of Rock Falls in about 1987 but did not get out there until the late 90's. Do you ever go out the the ROCK anymore. New owners and lots of money being invested to try to modernize it as we speak!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small world - that is cool. what kind of times were you running back in the day? I first heard of Rock Falls in about 1987 but did not get out there until the late 90's. Do you ever go out the the ROCK anymore. New owners and lots of money being invested to try to modernize it as we speak!
Have not. I remember it was about a two hour drive. About six of us drove all the way out there one time and for what ever reason it was not open (no internet not on a mailing list) it was a cold cloudy day. No staff or security on site. was able to go around the gate and race each other old school for a few hours. Some other people showed up but just turned around and left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505