Bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty promising...having experienced the symptoms...which sensor(s)? You're talking about the ones in the exhaust, I assume...before the cats or after? Or are there are other O2 sensors I'm maybe not aware of?

The ones in front of the cats. The ones after are there only to monitor the cats and do not affect the air:fuel ratio.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
The ones in front of the cats. The ones after are there only to monitor the cats and do not affect the air:fuel ratio.
Ok, so I think the 02 and MAF Will be my next pursuits. MAF I think I want to wait until at least the weekend for because my only driving during the week is my hair-raising commute and I want to be able to pull over quickly if I need to plug it back in.

On the O2, I presume the best approach (the proper one) is to use the scan tool while driving and get a read on what those two pre-cat sensors are telling the ECM while I’m experiencing the bucking?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I think the 02 and MAF Will be my next pursuits. MAF I think I want to wait until at least the weekend for because my only driving during the week is my hair-raising commute and I want to be able to pull over quickly if I need to plug it back in.

I wouldn't lead you to danger or damage, but I understand! Looking forward to the results.

On the O2, I presume the best approach (the proper one) is to use the scan tool while driving and get a read on what those two pre-cat sensors are telling the ECM while I’m experiencing the bucking?

Correct. I'll tag in James (@swathdiver) as he's one of the authorities on the TechIIs. I know the prices vary but I swear they were closer to $300. There are also more updated software versions that you should be sure comes with that the one you get.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
Correct. I'll tag in James (@swathdiver) as he's one of the authorities on the TechIIs. I know the prices vary but I swear they were closer to $300. There are also more updated software versions that you should be sure comes with that the one you get.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Looking forward to any guidance swathdiver might have. It's a chunk of change, and I definitely don't mind the investment but it's not a tool I know, for sure. I wonder what the version ID is for the latest software. ebay does tend to be my go-to for such things lately but they might not have the best price, supply/demand tends to come into play there so if there isn't a huge abundance of this kind of tool out there, that one seller might just be selling at what they THINK they could get.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I'll tag in James (@swathdiver) as he's one of the authorities on the TechIIs. I know the prices vary but I swear they were closer to $300. There are also more updated software versions that you should be sure comes with that the one you get.

Awesome. Looking forward to any guidance swathdiver might have. It's a chunk of change, and I definitely don't mind the investment but it's not a tool I know, for sure. I wonder what the version ID is for the latest software. ebay does tend to be my go-to for such things lately but they might not have the best price, supply/demand tends to come into play there so if there isn't a huge abundance of this kind of tool out there, that one seller might just be selling at what they THINK they could get.[/QUOTE]

I've been looking at the Tech2 and $350 from a USA seller isn't bad. You can get them cheaper directly from China but you will wait a couple weeks for it. Also, some kits have more 'accessories' than others. Swathdriver is the authority and should have more helpful info.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
That looks good; it has the latest software update, 33.004.

Thank you much! Purchased. That hurt a little, but buy good tools and only cry once, I learned. Looking forward to getting it plugged in, figuring out what the heck I'm doing, and get some actual data.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you much! Purchased. That hurt a little, but buy good tools and only cry once, I learned. Looking forward to getting it plugged in, figuring out what the heck I'm doing, and get some actual data.

Get your hands on the shop manual for your truck, either through AllDataDIY or buy it off one of the guys on ebay. They're two peas in a pod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish