Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect at least one of my engine mounts has failed. I can feel it clunking from a dead stop with anything more than mild-moderate acceleration.

Also..... I'm getting a thud when 1st starting out for the day during the 2-3 shift. Even with almost no throttle the shift is harsh. I don't think the two are related, other than maybe the hard shift causing the mount to fail faster than normal.

What is the the part # for the H3 mounts, and why is the H3 mount better? (curious)
Have you checked and/or changed the other fluids (including the trans filter)? It might be the culprit if you’re having shift issues. Better to catch it now.

Reaction score
Serious question. I replaced the driver mount and not the passenger mount.

Is it possible that my slightly rough idle when in drive is because with one good and one bad mount the truck is now vibrating more?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serious question. I replaced the driver mount and not the passenger mount.

Is it possible that my slightly rough idle when in drive is because with one good and one bad mount the truck is now vibrating more?

The cause of the vibrations aren't worse due to the mount combination. You're now feeling the vibes that were already there more since you now have a firmer mount. Replacing the passenger side might make the vibes a little more pronounced. These things commonly have what feels like an intermittent miss at idle. It's possible that the lower RPM and additional load while in gear exaggerates it. But it's also possible that you have a small problem (dirty injector(s), weak fuel supply, dirty MAF, carbonized chamber(s), etc.).

Reaction score
The cause of the vibrations aren't worse due to the mount combination. You're now feeling the vibes that were already there more since you now have a firmer mount. Replacing the passenger side might make the vibes a little more pronounced. These things commonly have what feels like an intermittent miss at idle. It's possible that the lower RPM and additional load while in gear exaggerates it. But it's also possible that you have a small problem (dirty injector(s), weak fuel supply, dirty MAF, carbonized chamber(s), etc.).
...This makes a ton of sense Thank You!

Going to make a separate post on everything I've tried so far to hopefully get to the bottom of this one. The engine only had 25k miles / isn't throwing codes so it's worth the elbow grease.

stapleto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just returned from my mechanic after a routine oil change and he shows me I have a cracked drivers side motor mount!!!! WTF... I mean seriously GM? You would think they would install a strong enough motor mount for what people use these SUV's for. My mechanic ony works with GMC and Chevy's and he said he is noticing this often.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Oh and cause where it is located, not the cheapest of repairs either..:flamingdevil:
Yep, I replaced the drivers motor mount also! Why GM continues to sell unreliable parts like motor mounts which can be very dangerous in very expensive vehicle's?

Reaction score
Finished the passenger mount yesterday. I've done a lot of jobs on cars and the angles on this one are comical.

Turns out my starter posts were rusted out, so it turned in to quite an adventure when it broke in my hands on reinstallation.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the passenger mount yesterday. I've done a lot of jobs on cars and the angles on this one are comical.

Turns out my starter posts were rusted out, so it turned in to quite an adventure when it broke in my hands on reinstallation.

You were fortunate to discover this now rather than the connection fail while out on the road somewhere.

You got used to the vibes at idle yet? They're pretty easy to ignore unless you do a lot of idling. Even then, just tell yourself they're a good thing cuz they mean your engine is still securely mounted and you won't be doing that job again for 200K miles or more.

Reaction score
You were fortunate to discover this now rather than the connection fail while out on the road somewhere.

You got used to the vibes at idle yet? They're pretty easy to ignore unless you do a lot of idling. Even then, just tell yourself they're a good thing cuz they mean your engine is still securely mounted and you won't be doing that job again for 200K miles or more.
Haha not yet.

I’m used to our normal vibes but these ones seem to be getting a little worse as time goes on. The upside is that all the things I’ve done on the truck have definitely improved the overall “feel”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442