Broken exhaust manifold bolt

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by BOSS, May 28, 2010.

1. BOSS

BOSS The People's A D M I N Supporting Member

Name:
    BOSS
    Came across this write up online for removing broken off exhaust manifold bolts. I guess you know what's about to go on in my garage :)

Credit to Chevyboy86 for posting this:

BOSS

2. BOSS

Name:
    BOSS
    Apparently it's a big problem, I never knew.

[yt]0yG6WlBNZGI[/yt]

B

3. hoe

hoe Full Access Member

Name:
    SleeperLQX
    You never knew? lol. My lq9 has 2 on driver side and 1 on passenger. NO codes. quite, and I run the piss out of it. I plan to leave the manifolds and do wye pipe back to tail with 3" pipe.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

The 5.3 I pulled to replace had 1 broke on each side for a total of 2. Still was quite as shit, no codes.

4. BOSS

Name:
    BOSS
    Here's a great writeup on welding and extraction strategies, if you don't have a welder you can certainly take this printout to the shop and ask them to follow it!

The Art of Extraction

B

5. BOSS

Name:
    BOSS
    Posted by someone, somewhere:

B

6. dorisk

dorisk TYF Newbie

Name:
    doris
    Good you made this a sticky, know many Tahoe owners who had problems with this.

7. rick from minnesota

rick from minnesota TYF Newbie

Name:
    rick
    broken exhaust manifold bots

in regards to broken of exhaust manifold bolts or/leaky exhaust, i'm not by any means a professional but somewhat mechanical and another solution to the problem which isn't as time consuming or invasive yet very effective is "The Original KAP" from www.kralautoparts.com . this bracket just simply bolts on and puts just the right supplemental pressure where its needed on the manifold and yet still allows for the expansion and contraction needed which is why the factory bolts and even replacement bolts have/will continue to sheer off. highly recommended i've done one on my suburban and going to help my neighbor next week with one on his van. good luck with your results you should be nothing less than satisfied. hope this reaches many of you with theses problems as it applies to many vehicles, Tahoe,Yukon, Silverados, cargo vans, Denali, Escalades, ect.

8. meadows.harrison

meadows.harrison TYF Newbie

Name:
    Harrison
    I just took my exhaust manifold off and found a broken bolt for nr.7 cyl. Going to chuck it up in a bridgeport to extract

9. yukon702

yukon702 Member

Name:
    yukon702
    Another thing is you shouldn't be taking out exhaust bolts without prelubing them with some sort of penetrating lubricant. Ive sprayed them while they are hot for a few days just to be on the safe side before i actually take off the headers. And also if you spray them while they are hot don't inhale that shit.