Broken bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtir007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I snapped two rear sway bar bushing bracket bolts, I sprayed them overnight, heat them , still broke, I can’t believe so much rust on the chassis with 70k miles, damn gm, obs Tahoe was the same rust-any suggestions on removing the broken studs and removing the other twoimage.jpg bolts

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends what tools you have and how good you are with them.
1)Drill center of bolt until very little bolt left-EZout not recommended here. Last drill upsize use left hand bit.
2) Weld a nut to broken bolt and unscrew.
For the other 2, heat them red. Soak with penetrating oil, heat red again, soak and remove using hand tools.
My opinion is some people should never be allowed impact wrenches.

OP
OP
G

Gtir007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I didn’t heat long enough, btw this was done without using any power tools, all manual

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with one of my bolts, when I upgraded to Hellwig sway bars. As recommended above, I drilled it out, and it was not a difficult job. Start with your smallest drill bit and drill as close as possible to the center of the bolt. Use cutting oil to keep the drill bit cool. Then change drill bits to the next larger size and repeat. The remaining bolt piece will come loose at some point and you can pull it out or push it through the top. If you have a set of thread chasers, use the proper sized one to clean out the threads on the chassis mount after you have removed the bolt. For new bolts, use grade 8 or higher bolts.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I snapped two rear sway bar bushing bracket bolts, I sprayed them overnight, heat them , still broke, I can’t believe so much rust on the chassis with 70k miles, damn gm, obs Tahoe was the same rust-any suggestions on removing the broken studs and removing the other twoView attachment 377877 bolts

I had to drill them out with progressively larger sizes. The part number is 11609701.

It's not GMs fault, it's our fault for not keeping it clean under there. The bolts go through and the threads are exposed and get full of debris which I believe causes the head to snap off when too much resistance is encountered.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you do get them out, make sure you run a tap in there and clean those threads up. Also, when you do the tap, do it just a little at a time. It will likely bind a few times and that is when you back out, use penetrant fluid and/or lube and tap again and again and again. Do not force it at all. If you have a new/sharp enough tap, it will get thru there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do get them out, make sure you run a tap in there and clean those threads up. Also, when you do the tap, do it just a little at a time. It will likely bind a few times and that is when you back out, use penetrant fluid and/or lube and tap again and again and again. Do not force it at all. If you have a new/sharp enough tap, it will get thru there.
I have to use a helicoil to make the repair proper and permanent to my liking.