Bridgestone dueler vs Michelin defender 285/45r22 ride quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/45 R22. Air pressure set by dealer at 35 PSI and rotated with every oil change.

That's strange Mark. My own experience with the LTX decades ago was that they easily went 60K miles and read from folks here and on other forums that sometimes even see 90K or more.

Is that the original wheel/tire combination for your truck? If so, what does the door sticker say for air pressure? I'm thinking they should be 32 but don't remember.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This does seem odd. I know it's not apples to apples, but for reference I just had my oil changed at the dealer a couple weeks ago and they gave me a check report for everything they went over and it had my tire tread depth readings on there; 285/45/22 Michelin Defender LTX's so far with about 25K miles and they all measured at 8/32nd.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have agree that something is up. I personally have run Bridgestone Dueller Alenza H/L's on all three of my Yukon XL's and have averaged 85K+ on every set that I have had. I have no experience with Michelin's on these vehicles. I understand that driving habits have a large effect on tire life, but 36K seems awfully quick for either brand to be wearing out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm only at 10k miles on my Defenders, and I see no signs of wear. I do rotate them after every oil change at 3000-4000 mile increments.

When I purchased my Defenders, I contacted Michelin directly and asked them for their recommendation on tire pressure, since I purchased 305/50x20 Defenders versus the OEM 275/55x20 tire size. Michelin told me to use the OEM tire pressure recommendation for my truck posted on the door sticker, which was 32 psi, even though I was running a wider and lower profile tire than OEM stock.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's strange Mark. My own experience with the LTX decades ago was that they easily went 60K miles and read from folks here and on other forums that sometimes even see 90K or more.

Is that the original wheel/tire combination for your truck? If so, what does the door sticker say for air pressure? I'm thinking they should be 32 but don't remember.
Door sticker says 35 PSI, which is what I'm running at. Tire rating is 44 PSI max.

You've heard the same feedback as I. I've always believed these tires were the most durable option. I find it hard to believe that our driving style is a ton different than typical. Yeah, we may have a slightly heavier foot than some, we're in a cold climate and at least 50% of our miles are city driving which all works against us, but I'm still surprised.

Reaction score
I have agree that something is up. I personally have run Bridgestone Dueller Alenza H/L's on all three of my Yukon XL's and have averaged 85K+ on every set that I have had. I have no experience with Michelin's on these vehicles. I understand that driving habits have a large effect on tire life, but 36K seems awfully quick for either brand to be wearing out.
Thanks. A few questions... What's your mix of city/highway roughly? 22" wheels? Climate? Also, are you talking about the OEM tire that it came with from the factory, or are these replacements?

Not sure if it's true on these or not, but I've heard that the OEM option is not the same as the exact same model you buy aftermarket... that they cheapen them up when selling OEM. We experienced this with an F-350 in our fleet. Brand new truck cut a tire so we took it to Discount and got a single tire same make/model as OEM equipment. Not only did the replacement have more tread depth, the tread pattern was even visually different. I'm talking about a brand new truck with under 3K miles.

I only suspected this because I burned off two sets of OEM Duellers in 30k, first on a 2015 Suburban 5.3L, then a 2016 Suburban 5.3L. Both were 22" wheels like my XL Denali and none of the three have ever once been hooked to a trailer.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. A few questions... What's your mix of city/highway roughly? 22" wheels? Climate? Also, are you talking about the OEM tire that it came with from the factory, or are these replacements?

Not sure if it's true on these or not, but I've heard that the OEM option is not the same as the exact same model you buy aftermarket... that they cheapen them up when selling OEM. We experienced this with an F-350 in our fleet. Brand new truck cut a tire so we took it to Discount and got a single tire same make/model as OEM equipment. Not only did the replacement have more tread depth, the tread pattern was even visually different. I'm talking about a brand new truck with under 3K miles.

I only suspected this because I burned off two sets of OEM Duellers in 30k, first on a 2015 Suburban 5.3L, then a 2016 Suburban 5.3L. Both were 22" wheels like my XL Denali and none of the three have ever once been hooked to a trailer.
This is correct. Each vehicle manufacturer has tires designed specifically for the application they are using it on. So a GM Bridgestone dueler can be slightly different than a dueler you can buy from a tire shop. They have to meet specific requirements for weight, tread depth, and other performance factors for the vehicle they are going on.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our Yukon sees probably a 75% highway/25% In Town (I'm in Iowa so not much "City" driving).
We run 20" wheels and rotate tires every 7K to 8K.
We run the tires year round in Iowa summers and winters.
Tires have been purchased off of Tire Rack and are listed as OE.
upload_2020-3-10_11-41-16.png

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had the michelins, but I have had duelers in a couple sizes and I am not a fan of them.

Swapping out the duelers on my caddy 275/65r20 I definitely noticed an improvement in ride.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had the michelins, but I have had duelers in a couple sizes and I am not a fan of them.

Swapping out the duelers on my caddy 275/65r20 I definitely noticed an improvement in ride.
Can't say that I have any issues with the ride quality of the Duelers, but like I said, I have no experience with the Michelins so I may be missing out on a piece of utopia when it comes to ride quality. The next time I need new tires, they will definitely be given consideration based on the praises heaped upon them here on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401