Brand new '07 GMC Yukon owner, and new to the car world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a 3-ton SUV. Yes, you're lifting less than half that, but it's still a lot on a 2-ton jack. For a good budget jack, it's tough to beat the 3-ton floor jacks from Harbor Freight.
yup i've been looking at those i think thats gonna be my next score

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can also get an inexpensive scanner for the code(s) and post those here or go to an auto parts store and they will pull the codes for you. When you do that make a complete list of those codes and post them here and we will dig in to track down the possibilities of what could be going on. Have them then clear the code(s) and drive to see if the light comes back and if it does, get them to pull codes again to see if the same code came back. I have seen a rig run fine and a momentary glitch caused a code, cleared the code and that code never came back. Do you have any driveability problems when that light is on? Is the light on solid all the time? Does it go out and then back on again later? You may have said all this but I am old enough that I want new info. LOL!
okay so i went to auto zone and got them to run a scan for the check engine light and here are all the codes that came up:

P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)
P0336 crankshaft position sensor a circuit range/performance
P0430 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)
P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2) -this last one appears twice dont know if thats just a mistake or there is a reason for that

so i looked up the codes and it seems to be something with my catalytic converter?, also some have asked about its maintenance history and i know that it has had basically no problems except for something with the catalytic converter which costed her about 900 dollars about a year and a half ago, ill get more information about what that was but i think there is new catalytic converter in the truck so, this sensor seems like it might revolve around that.

OP
OP
TheJewishHammer

TheJewishHammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can also get an inexpensive scanner for the code(s) and post those here or go to an auto parts store and they will pull the codes for you. When you do that make a complete list of those codes and post them here and we will dig in to track down the possibilities of what could be going on. Have them then clear the code(s) and drive to see if the light comes back and if it does, get them to pull codes again to see if the same code came back. I have seen a rig run fine and a momentary glitch caused a code, cleared the code and that code never came back. Do you have any driveability problems when that light is on? Is the light on solid all the time? Does it go out and then back on again later? You may have said all this but I am old enough that I want new info. LOL!
completely forgot to ask them to clear the codes to see if they would come back, but the light is solid and always on. i seemm to have no loss of power or any problem driving

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
completely forgot to ask them to clear the codes to see if they would come back, but the light is solid and always on. i seemm to have no loss of power or any problem driving
Def invest in a handheld scanner. You can get a decent one for under $50.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def invest in a handheld scanner. You can get a decent one for under $50.

Aren't there really good wireless one that sync with your phone and has a ton of features?

*EDIT*
ELM327 and BlueDriver are what I was thinking of. Jacob, research those.

As for the catalyst codes, we need to find out what exactly was done with them. Next time you get it up on jack stands, maybe to get a general look of the underside, snap some pics of the Y-pipe and the cat converters.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
was thinking if one of these would be useful to have for myself, do you have any recommendations? i've been looking at the ANCEL AD410 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rc-20&linkId=edd4788f6eebfb14804ad77b6881a211
It's not bad. Does all the basics. It's a good one to start out with. Alot of guys--including myself--have handheld scanners that do Live Data--tells you what's going on in real time--also reads abs and airbag codes. That's really helpful. The one you linked doesn't do those.
I have this one--
20200913_220039.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKX2KDJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H6SxFbYB9DWBR
Not the most expensive but def worth it.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely don’t want to skimp on quality jack stands. It can literally be the difference between life and death or at the least, risk of serious injury. It’s exciting, especially when it’s your first new ride. You’re young and you have the rest of your life and you’ll have plenty of new rides in your future. The last thing you want to go cheap on is anything safety related. Some auto stores will loan you tools, so take advantage of those deals until you can buy your own quality tools. I’ve got tools that I’ve had for 40 years.
Like mentioned before, put together a little nest egg for the unexpected surprise repairs that pop up. Good luck going forward and be sure to keep a list/book of your repairs w/receipts.

i got the jackstands from amazon, they seem pretty well made, and my floor jack is something that definitely will need an upgrade in the future, its a 2 ton weighted jack but its pretty tiny and seems cheaply made, i rushed to put that a jack stand while using it i dont trust it at all, but i revived the floor jack for free so it was nice.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ride for a first car! Much better then my first car when I was your age! Haha. Agree with the others on the floor jack from harbor freight. I bought one from them last year while they were doing a parking lot sale and got it cheap. It works great. After I heard about the jack stand recall from harbor freight though I haven’t used my jack stands. Though because suv is not on a front level kit and taller tires the jack stands aren’t tall enough. I need to get heavier duty ones that’s are bigger. Anyways, I agree with the guys on a handheld scanner. Great tool to have.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first car was a 75 Opel Manta...LOL

Great ride for a first car! Much better then my first car when I was your age! Haha. Agree with the others on the floor jack from harbor freight. I bought one from them last year while they were doing a parking lot sale and got it cheap. It works great. After I heard about the jack stand recall from harbor freight though I haven’t used my jack stands. Though because suv is not on a front level kit and taller tires the jack stands aren’t tall enough. I need to get heavier duty ones that’s are bigger. Anyways, I agree with the guys on a handheld scanner. Great tool to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2