Brakes squeal when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic turned both front rotors. Was fine for a day, but squealing returned a few hours later, even worse than before. It’s only on light braking like coming to a stop. Harder braking doesn’t make noise. Mechanic said my bearing hubs should be replaced, noticed this when he pulled rotors off. Could this be causing squeal?

Haven't heard of a hub failure this way. Were new pads put on after the rotors were turned? When one pad wears out and the other side is ok, that's usually a sign that it is time for calipers.

OP
OP
Richard Blakely
Reaction score
Haven't heard of a hub failure this way. Were new pads put on after the rotors were turned? When one pad wears out and the other side is ok, that's usually a sign that it is time for calipers.
I was told that pads are fine all around. When the brake job was done, new rotors were replaced on the front. Nothing was surfaced at that time. Rear rotors are fine, we’re not resurfaced. Front rotors, although resurfaced yesterday, were new at time of brake job. Interesting about calipers, haven’t been checked, except for spring load pins which were replaced during brake job. Pins weren’t moving smoothly, reason for replacement.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that pads are fine all around. When the brake job was done, new rotors were replaced on the front. Nothing was surfaced at that time. Rear rotors are fine, we’re not resurfaced. Front rotors, although resurfaced yesterday, were new at time of brake job. Interesting about calipers, haven’t been checked, except for spring load pins which were replaced during brake job. Pins weren’t moving smoothly, reason for replacement.

Not sure I understand you right but let me say this, it is not proper to replace or resurface a rotor and reuse the brake pads. Anytime a rotor is replaced or turned, new pads are a must. Spring loaded guide pins? I don't have those, but have cleaned the guide pins, replaced the boots and regreased before. The slide stops must be greased and those new drag reduction springs help a lot.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install new pads, spray a coat of disc brake quiet on the back of the pad....dont go nuts but a good coat. Let it dry ( it will be super sticky) , use brake clean and paper towel to remove any on the edges, grease the edges where it contacts the calipers and install. Most brake noise squeal is vibration of the pads.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never heard of a shop turning rotors and then reusing the same pads, it's one thing if you do it at home but it's a no no for a shop to do it put's them in a liability, time for some different pads get some ceramic pads they won't squeak anymore. If that was a $200 brake job you probably still ended up with some cheap $12 metallic crap pads and they will make noise.

worn hubs wouldn't make the brakes squeak

invest a basic set of tools and you can save the labor cost and buy the good stuff and put it on yourself, brakes and hubs are easy these shops make a good profit on those jobs

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Biggest keys to a good brake job. Quality rotors, quality pads-ceramic and quality hardware. But must be kept very clean thru the process and lubed with correct high temp grease and bed the pads in correctly when road test afterwords. Each piece/part works with the other and must be quality. After all, the most important of any vehicle is the brakes. Next is tires. Brakes slow you down, tires are what stops you.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had brake job done 2 months ago with new front rotors. Everything was fine for first 2 months, but now when coming to a stop, a high-pitched squeal is emitted. Brakes and rotors checked yesterday by firestone, but nothing wrong was found. Plenty of break pad and no rotor scoring. Where else should I look?

One of mine just started doing that, squeel just when near stop. Turns out the was no lube on the pad tabs and pads did not move freely in the guides. A but of wire brushing and brake caliper lube on the guides and the point where the caliper touches the pad and noise is gone.

LRob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest keys to a good brake job. Quality rotors, quality pads-ceramic and quality hardware. But must be kept very clean thru the process and lubed with correct high temp grease and bed the pads in correctly when road test afterwords. Each piece/part works with the other and must be quality. After all, the most important of any vehicle is the brakes. Next is tires. Brakes slow you down, tires are what stops you.

+1

Do you know what brand pads you have? I have akebono pads with R1 Concept rotors up front and its dead quiet and smooth. Out back i have same brand pads with centric rotors, still no noise. Put r1 concept rotors and akebono pads on my 04 accord and its quiet and smooth as well. Please Please do the bed in process for the pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094