Brake system upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakobv19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I have a 2004 Yukon Denali I wanted to upgrade my brake system Ive seen people use 07 Tahoe original brake I wanted to know if I can use the original brake system off a 07 Tahoe on my 04 Yukon Denali or does it have to be a 07 Yukon Denali in order for this to work?

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^This^^^
But be aware, the newer platform standardized on a different wheel offset, enabling these calipers to be much thicker than NBS/NNBS ones. Wheel fitment may be an issue.
Yes, and I would read that entire thread before proceeding. There is actually a caliper making the rounds that can be used as a mock-up on your vehicle.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I would read that entire thread before proceeding. There is actually a caliper making the rounds that can be used as a mock-up on your vehicle.
Really like the idea, but I appreciate the simplicity of the NBS to NNBS upgrade being 100% bolt-on. No shims / washers needed. No trimming of the calipers needed. Just not sure it’s worth it for a 1/2” larger rotor. I suppose the biggest advantage is the 4 vs 2 pistons, but I’m also skeptical this is really necessary to grab the rotor. I think the limitation might be tire-related at this point.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Really like the idea, but I appreciate the simplicity of the NBS to NNBS upgrade being 100% bolt-on. No shims / washers needed. No trimming of the calipers needed. Just not sure it’s worth it for a 1/2” larger rotor. I suppose the biggest advantage is the 4 vs 2 pistons, but I’m also skeptical this is really necessary to grab the rotor. I think the limitation might be tire-related at this point.

for those with big wheels that already fit the calipers I think it makes sense, where the only “hokey” bit is shimming to center the caliper. With larger diameter wheels and larger circumference tires they can also use more brake force before the tire becomes the limiting factor.
I’m getting ready for some NNBS bits to go under my stock 17” wheels though

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the NNBS upgrade on my 05 escalade. Same brake setup as yours.

My system was due for replacement anyways, so not sure how it would compare as far as new NBS vs new NNBS, but cost to replace is the same so why not get a bigger rotor/caliper and pad? I am glad I did it. Literally plug and play. Brakes work great.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh you should check if you have JL4. If so you have 2 middle lines instead of the typical one middle line to the rear axle.

Forgot my other pics

Edit: these are nnbs front brakes btw. 13" rotor 20" oem esky platinum rims
View attachment 234418 View attachment 234420 View attachment 234422 View attachment 234423

Finally getting this nnbs brake upgrade done. Certainly looks better

View attachment 212454

I did not notice a huge difference in day to day driving when I did mine. I have hydroboost. My existing brakes were in good shape though outside of pads being a little worn down.

I think a lot of guys that notice a big difference had issues with their existing setup such as old fluid in the lines or some such deal.

That being said when you are really working the brakes there is a difference. Less fade, and more bite.

I have SS lines front and rear, but didn't get to the middle lines yet...

I have SSBC rotors and Z36 carbon fiber ceramic pads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts