Brake Squeal when not braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon started making a brake squeal sound a few months ago. However it only happens when driving at low speeds, not when braking. It generally stops making the sound when I apply the brakes.

Took it to Midas near me (I've had good luck there historically) and they said it was the brakes...just due to rust on them. The rotors were noticeably rusty.

I had them replace front pads and rotors. I could still hear the sound, but honestly, it is hard to tell if its coming from the front or rear. I did check the front brakes to confirm that they actually replaced the pads and rotors.

So I then replaced the rear pads and rotors myself. Still making the sound.

Any ideas of what else it could be? Is this caliper or e-brake related?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Yukon started making a brake squeal sound a few months ago. However it only happens when driving at low speeds, not when braking. It generally stops making the sound when I apply the brakes.

Took it to Midas near me (I've had good luck there historically) and they said it was the brakes...just due to rust on them. The rotors were noticeably rusty.

I had them replace front pads and rotors. I could still hear the sound, but honestly, it is hard to tell if its coming from the front or rear. I did check the front brakes to confirm that they actually replaced the pads and rotors.

So I then replaced the rear pads and rotors myself. Still making the sound.

Any ideas of what else it could be? Is this caliper or e-brake related?
Could be a dragging caliper.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^ At every pad/rotor change, all moving parts of the caliper should be inspected, and the parts that need grease should be greased with brake grease. A lot of folks simply ignore this part of the pad/rotor replacement process.

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^ At every pad/rotor change, all moving parts of the caliper should be inspected, and the parts that need grease should be greased with brake grease. A lot of folks simply ignore this part of the pad/rotor replacement process.
Thanks Guys, I'll check that out!

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add this comment in case it helps anyone searching the forum. Had the brakes checked again and they were fine. Shop now believed the sound was suspension...My ball joints were going out any way, so they replaced the upper control arms/ball joints and lower ball joints. The sound still existed. They still believed it was the suspension and isolated the sound to the front strut. I made them show me while it was on the lift. They bounced it and could replicate the sound, and put the stethoscope on it to find the spot. Front strut.

These were KYB MonoMax Truck Plus struts that were less than 2 yrs old with 7k miles on them. They replaced them and the sound was gone.
Kind of a surprise to me because this did not sound like a suspension sound....it sounded like a brake squeal and multiple people agreed.

When I originally put the KYBs on, I did quite a bit of research and they seemed to be decent equipment. I also put Monomax on the rears at the same time. I had to replace one of those after a year because it was leaking. So 2 out of 4 failed within 7k miles. 0/10 would not recommend KYB Monomax.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this thread has taken a little turn towards suspension I'd like to chime in.

I have an 08 Denali and at 160k, the ride wasn't as pleasant anymore. My wife's 17 Denali got the struts replaced under warranty and I was amazed at how well it rode afterwards. That got me thinking about what to replace my old ones with.

I searched...and searched for info. I like the auto ride system, but nobody makes a good OEM substitute besides Arnott. After much deliberating, I ended up buying take-off struts for a 2019 Tahoe from ebay. They said they only fit 2015-19. It worked out having a 2017 to compare with and NOTHING has changed from 2007 as far as the mounting goes.

So, I popped in 2 OEM struts for $350 and $50 for the resistor to keep the suspension light off and Viola!! Very good success, cheaper OEM option and the ride is great. I don't really think the electronic struts are worth the headache -- it rides well with "dumb" shocks on it. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons