Brake pedal no longer shuts off engine when using factory remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimHanus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe 5.3L 4wd. I've had this vehicle for 2 years. With the engine running after a remote start, if I get in and accidently hit the brake pedal the engine shuts off. It's always done that. The engine will also shut off if I open the hood before turning the key to the run position (that is still the same). Now for some reason nothing happens when I hit the brake pedal after remote start. Brake lights are working, center high mount brake light is working. It's not a big deal as nothing happens until I put the key in and turn it, it just bothers me that for some unknown reason something has changed and I would like to know why in case it gets worse or something else changes. Also tried 2 different remotes, same thing. Disconnected the battery for a half hour, same. Anyone ever seen this before?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Are you sure it shut off before? I know the older ones did but my 08 2500hd and Escalade don’t shut off with the brake. I just asked guy at work and his 2011 Equinox doesn’t shut off with brake either.
I suppose it could be a ground issue with the remote start module but it’s strange that none of these vehicles don’t either.

OP
OP
J

JimHanus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure. If I accidently hit the brake pedal getting in the engine would shut off. Cruise control does cancel when hitting brake pedal.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure. If I accidently hit the brake pedal getting in the engine would shut off. Cruise control does cancel when hitting brake pedal.

Look in your manual. I looked up mine after I started thinking about it and it does not list hitting the brake as an option for manually shutting off the remote start.
A1F465F4-EAF0-499C-B608-DAB33D199D0C.jpeg

What got me thinking about this again was the other day after work I hit my remote start and got to talking to guys for a few minutes. Grabbed my things and walked out to my truck. I hit the unlock, got in and hit the brake while I was putting the key in the ignition and the truck shut off. I thought, no way, it’s never done this before. Hit remote start again and pushed brake and nothing. Wouldn’t shut off. Thought about it on way home of what would cause that and why I couldn’t repeat it. Until that night getting ready to go to work. Hit remote start and made my coffee. When I went out to truck and got in, it shut off. But that time I didn’t hit the brake. Then it dawned on me, it wasn’t my brake pedal that shut it off, it timed out and was a complete coincidence that it happened exactly at the right time.
I remember a few times when I got in and as soon as I was turning the key the remote start timed out and truck shut off and then came right back on and I thought, what are the chances of that happening more than once. But it has. And I believe that’s what has happened in your situation. The factory remote starts are not cancelled with the brake, only the aftermarket units are. Your manual will confirm this.

Edit: I looked up the manual for a 13 Tahoe. Same thing listed. You just have one heck of an internal clock and your timing was perfect the times it shut off on you.
56F9AF1F-E224-496F-B815-4264290936BA.jpeg

One way to check this is try your hazards. I’ve never had a vehicle shut off with my hazards that had an aftermarket remote start or the older GM vehicles that had factory remote start. If it shuts off that way then it’s a factory remote start and that’s just the way it is.

Last edited:

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has never shut off when hitting the brake either. Actually the only time mine has cancelled (besides by remote or timeout) was when I popped the hood, that will kill it.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked my 2013 Tahoe 4x4 and it does NOT shut off with the brake pedal, I also tried with the door open.
My aftermarket alarm in my old tahoe did have that feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe