Brake pad thickness question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
'04 Yukon XL 2500 4x4:

The technician's comments on the inspection report says 6mm friction material remaining on the front pads, 10mm remaining on the rear. How does that translate into PERCENTAGE remaining? That would be more useful information.

Also, what aftermarket pads do y'all like?

Thanks.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new pads are usually all about the same thickness but they can still differ a little. also front pads are usually thicker than the rears but not by much anymore it used to be easily visible. 416hvMxSkjL._AC_SY400_.jpg6mm is the largest yellow gauge and 10mm is the middle green gauge. hd pads also tend to be a little thicker and i also like power stop rotors and pads.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure they can tell you since we all drive differently and the type of pad along with the makeup can vary quite a bit. If you don’t know when these were put on write down your mileage now and when you change to new pads for future reference if you get the same pads.

OP
OP
Bart Hinder

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
I’m not sure they can tell you since we all drive differently and the type of pad along with the makeup can vary quite a bit. If you don’t know when these were put on write down your mileage now and when you change to new pads for future reference if you get the same pads.

Thanks, and good point.
I should have said, "how do you know what percentage of the friction material has been used?", not remaining.
If a new pad is 10mm thick and now it's down to 6mm, 40% of the pad has been used. Which, as you point out, doesn't necessarily mean there is 60% remaining. But 40% used seems more meaningful than 6mm.

I did see one article that said pads are done when the get down to 1mm. Does that seem like a reasonable value?

OP
OP
Bart Hinder

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
new pads are usually all about the same thickness but they can still differ a little. also front pads are usually thicker than the rears but not by much anymore it used to be easily visible. View attachment 2154086mm is the largest yellow gauge and 10mm is the middle green gauge. hd pads also tend to be a little thicker and i also like power stop rotors and pads.

Okay, I'm looking at PowerStop now. How do I determine if the rear hub hole is 4.63" or 4.83"?
Thanks!

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would require your technician to be able to find what your specific pads were supposed to be at when they were installed. It would mean removing the pads to find specific manufacturer information and pad information listed on them. They can take the wheels off and measure pad thickness with a caliper with them still mounted.

I'm pretty sure the pads are only good for 2mm left. If they get down that low, I think by law your mechanic is either required to fix them or to get you to sign off saying you declined. The measurement alone should be enough to give you an idea of how much life is left.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The metal tab that rubs and makes the awful squeal (has many names)starts at 2mm I think. As for the measurements you’re asking about it sounds like you’re looking at rotors I just look up the oem specs to know for sure

OP
OP
Bart Hinder

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Sounds like I don't need to be too concerned in the short term. I'll get the pads checked again in a few months. That should give me a fair idea of my burn rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972