Brake Pad Recommendation for Towing

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Dan Acosta, May 14, 2018.

1. Dan Acosta

Dan Acosta Full Access Member

Name:
    Dan
    I have read a bunch of threads on brakes, but it can get a little confusing.
    To simplify, I dont want to do the NNBS upgrade at this time. Maybe in a few years.
    So for now I tow a travel trailer monthly. It stops OK, but I need to replace the pads, and was looking for a recommendation for a pad upgrade that might make a noticeable difference. No dust would be a bonus, but stopping is most important.

That being said if there is a part that would make an additional improvement, I would consider. For example - SS lines. Do they really make a difference in stopping, or just a firmer pedal?

2. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    i bought the power stop towing package brake kit for my Tahoe. i dont do that much towing myself but i did do a bit of towing shortly after i put them on. pretty light utility trailer loaded down with my sisters stuff from moving. i think there was a noticeable difference between stock and these. can't say it was a night and day difference but i did notice a difference. it was also enough of a difference the wife even noticed it.

3. Dan Acosta

Name:
    Dan
    Was that the rotors & pads? or did you replace the calipers as well?

4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    anything premium ceramic will work better and last longer than standard pads

swathdiver likes this.
  5. Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    i went with R1 E line drilled and slotted rotors and scorched ceramic pads.

just stock replacements. 200 for all 4 corners shipped. i have not towed with it yet, but they are night and day over the last set of crap i bought it with.

a large trailer should have its own brakes, if they are working you should hardly know its back there.

6. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    i bought the premium kit with the calipers but the calipers aren't needed if yours are in good shape. i only bought the premium kit with calipers since i liked that they are powder coated. i also bought thier kit for 2 other cars also, my civic and a pontiac i used to have. my neighbor also has them on 2 of his vehicles now also.

7. Dan Acosta

Name:
    Dan
    OK, I am considering the new rotors, was thinking only pads. I usually dont turn my rotors unless necessary. How do you guys do it? Do you turn everytime, or just when grooved?

8. 4WDTRK

4WDTRK sleeps in garage

Name:
    Roland
    Always best to replace or have turned.

9. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    I usually just replace mine with the pads, there cheap enough to just replace, or if there in warranty I will just exchange them the auto parts store usually doesn't question it

10. ezstriper

ezstriper Full Access Member

Name:
    Rob
    I have tried 3 different sets on my av, prostop ceramic. bendix severe duty w/rotors, and now delco police.ambulance. all helped a small amount, the delco are semi-met and squeal like a pig at times...