Brake master upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've read on the 07+ caliper and rotor upgrades for my 06 and will probably do that the next time it needs brakes.

But I was wondering if there is a bolt on master upgrade to supply more fluid for a given amount of pedal application.

It already has hydroboost so that's a bonus, but the bore size in the master from what I can find is 1.39 inches. There is a 1.46 inch bore master for a Silverado but it doesnt support the active brake control (JL4) that the Hoe has.

Like my 95 f150 got a f350 vac booster and master cylinder. And since there is no larger calipers and rotors for that gen ford all the brake parts have to stay stock. And it will stop on a dime, I could never lock up the brakes with the stock master but now I can if I want and braking takes far less pedal effort.
The stock master is a 1.06 bore so just under like an inch and a sixteenth, and the 350 master is 1.13 so just over and inch and an eighth.

I figured if there was an option for swap on the Tahoe, a master with all the 07+ parts should make a great stopping combo, I just dont know of there is a swappable combo.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to need some hard to find data. Firstly, all the specs for the JL-4 master, including the electrical. Do you know an Engineer at GM? As far as sizes, rebuild kits are an easy way, especially on stepped bores.
A possibility is a Brake Parts warehouse with an Old school City Desk with shop access. That would work for ONE Master, and not at all expensive. Only requires access. There used to be alot of these in almost every major city. I know of two left, Only one with city desk. On occasion I had them overbore and or resleeve my stuff. Access to the shop is tightly controlled as their knowledge is valuable as in hourly wages. Don't like time wasters. Maybe they could overbore your JL-4? Where are you located? Chicago likely has one.
What about adding the electrics to the 1.46 Master?
Lastly, I'm assuming you know and understand the relationship /bore/step/stroke/pedal ratio/ booster ratio/cylinder volume. Brakes are easy, its the insurance thats killer.