1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Line replacement question

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by mijohnst, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Larryjb

Larryjb Full Access Member

Name:
    Larry
    Could this be the famous ABS controller needing to be opened and resoldered? I can't remember what year your truck is. (Can you put it in your sig?) If so, it can be a pain to remove the module if the torx screws are rusted.

I've heard other causes are faulty grounds.

mijohnst likes this.
  2. mijohnst

mijohnst Full Access Member

Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Larry. I thought it could possibly be the ABS unit. Coincidently I have a spare (I pulled from a junkyard Tahoe in good shape) that I thought about switching out just to see what would happen. It's a lot of work for a guess though so I'm hoping there is something else I can do. I wasn't having any issues with it until I blew that hydraulic line.

3. mijohnst

Name:
    Mike
    Well, I switched out the ABS module with the spare that I had and no change. Brake light and ABS light stays on and warns that the Stabilization has been disabled. I went ahead and really cleaned the ground to frame attachments again and that was no help.

So bleeding question - I bleed all my lines and to the best I could but if there is a little air (maybe I didn't bleed well enough) would that cause these issues? I've been watching my brake fluid level and it hasn't dropped at all in a week. No spots on the ground and I'm sure I don't have leaks. Maybe I have air in the lines somewhere?

I don't know what to check next. My next thought is to go by a shop to have someone with a nice live tester have a look at it. I a few ODB2 testers (I use the BlueDriver mainly) but I still get no codes about the ABS system.

Could it be the battery isn't strong enough for the ABS? I read that somewhere. Also, I'm starting to think I didn't bleed my JL4 ABS correctly. I bleed all the wheels but I didn't bleed the ABS.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  4. 4WDTRK

4WDTRK sleeps in garage

Name:
    Roland
    Did you ever get this fixed? I'm getting the same message after replacing parking brakes. I did use a c-clamp on the caliper pistons to slightly push them back for easier reinstallation. The error seemed to come in after I started the truck and started pumping back up the brakes.

mijohnst likes this.
  5. exp500

exp500 Full Access Member

Name:
    j
    Mike- I think this one requires the tech2.

6. mijohnst

Name:
    Mike
    Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I eventually ended up getting it all resolved. My entire brake system had drained so the ABS emptied out. I don't have an ODB2 that is able to work it the ABS. I found a thread somewhere that recommended finding some mud or gravel and working the ABS a few times with hard braking and that fixed it. No more ABS lights!

TheAutumnWind likes this.