Brake Light Switch - Pin Wire diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lance.brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back story - I have 1999 Chevy Tahoe. I was tired of the weak brakes, so I upgraded the entire system. Installed a Bosch hydraboost and new mater cylinder to replace the original vacuum booster and master cylinder. Also replaced back drums with discs and new calipers.

NOW, the original brake light switch will not fit back correctly on the new brake booster arm. When installed the switch is engaged and causes the lights to burn continuously.

I wanted to know if it is possibly to replace the original brake light sending unit with one from a 1993 Chevy C1500 pickup. I believe this style switch will fit properly, but in typical GM fashion, the plug pigtails are different. Is there anywhere I can find the pin wire diagrams for both a 1999 tahoe light switch and the 1993 pickup?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Mis-installed. The switch is the same wether vacuum or hydroboost booster. Original should have fit right on.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Btw you change the pedal as well?

OP
OP
L

lance.brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The original design vacuum booster had one continuous smooth rod.
The new hydrobooster has a split rod that is thread the length of the rod. There is a hexnut that is ~2" long that holds the split rod together. This allows you to "fine tune" the length of the push rod connected to the pedal.

The problem with this design is that the 2" long hexnut doesn't allow the original brake light switch to clip onto the push rod - hence the reason I was looking at a different style brake light switch.

I will try to take a picture of it if I can contort myself up under the dash with my camera tomorrow morning.

I did not change the pedal out - it is the original (as far as I know).

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Uh yeah dont think mine had the big long hex and the hydroboost pedal has a different foot to rod movement ratio. Mine is based on the 3/4 ton burb. Any higher then that is really just changing wheel cylinder sizes and mc again, I think. My setup gave me the pedal, booster, MC, PS pump and lines only to change. ABS lines and wheel parts remained the same. Did use slotted rotors and hawk SD pads of course.

OP
OP
L

lance.brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OP
OP
L

lance.brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update
You can put a 1992/93 style brake light switch on a 1999 Tahoe. However, it does require a small modification to the steering column bracket to allow room for the older style switch to swing and function properly.

As for wiring - the orange wire is the constant hot wire and the white wire is the brake light wire (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMO8tIrggpVNEhKN0lnODVFdW8/view?usp=sharing)

Original switch (1999) had two green wires, one purple wire, and a brown wire. Still trying to determine which pins those attach to on older style switch (1992 switch). I believe those particular wires are for the cruise control.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
it also worked with the cruise control, neutral safety and clutch as well. Best I can do right now:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
L

lance.brown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it also worked with the cruise control, neutral safety and clutch as well. Best I can do right now:

Thanks! If you find the 1992 connector info, I'll be set. The 1992 connector has a Purple wire, Green wire, Brown wire, and Pink/White wire. I'd like to assume that the purple and brown wires are the same from the 1992 to 1999, but I don't trust GM enough to not check/be sure.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
1992 c1500 4wal brake system assumed: on unlabelled wires on switch I think top is purple going to 420, middle brown and lower pink/black both going to 439 & 250.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 36

Chevysmilinwide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update
You can put a 1992/93 style brake light switch on a 1999 Tahoe. However, it does require a small modification to the steering column bracket to allow room for the older style switch to swing and function properly.

As for wiring - the orange wire is the constant hot wire and the white wire is the brake light wire (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMO8tIrggpVNEhKN0lnODVFdW8/view?usp=sharing)

Original switch (1999) had two green wires, one purple wire, and a brown wire. Still trying to determine which pins those attach to on older style switch (1992 switch). I believe those particular wires are for the cruise control.
Lance.brown tyf newbie
Is there anyway possible I could get this file for the brake lights wiring diagram I replaced the heater core in 06 tahoe all said and done tho when putting all back together I still have one plug left that I can't seem to find where it goes and my cruise control as well my brake lights are not working my running lights work but the brake lights don't glow brighter when pressing brake pedal the connector I have that is not plugged in is located on the side dash area black n I'm not exactly sure how many wires are in it next time I'm in the truck I'll have to count e! Anyway to get file tho please idk if its exactly what I'm looking for but could be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094