Brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C17FXR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you guys know I was looking for this kind of information. With my search of a NNSB Tahoe I have been contemplating if an integrated brake controller (ITBC) should be part of my search.
Quick question does anyone know if the ITBC is install does it indicate the Max Tow package was installed or if it was an option without the Max Tow package? That is without looking at the build sheet.
Anyway Thanks for the information and keep it coming.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you guys know I was looking for this kind of information. With my search of a NNSB Tahoe I have been contemplating if an integrated brake controller (ITBC) should be part of my search.
Quick question does anyone know if the ITBC is install does it indicate the Max Tow package was installed or if it was an option without the Max Tow package? That is without looking at the build sheet.

the option code for integrated brake controller (ITBC) is JL1, believe Max Tow package comes with transmission cooler and ITBC, but I would go with tekonsha instead of OEM, IMHO.

Reaction score
No, but tekonsha makes wires that use whatever quick plug they use for like 10 bucks. No splicing. My toyota sequoia was a breeze to install in comparison. I also dont understand why they dont hook up the house charging circut already....really weird.
Yup, when I bought my Tekonsha to put in my 2001 Yukon back in 2007 I ordered it with a GM cable. There is a plug receptacle under the dash for it to plug into. I also had to install a fuse in the box under the hood and hook up a wire to one of the stud terminals in the box. That was it.

The Yukon also came from the factory with a 12" wire bundle (sitting in the center console) to hook up a brake controller. It has the GM plug on one end and bare, non terminated labeled wires on the other end. I didn't use it because of the model specific cable that came with my Tekonsha, and it sits on a shelf in the garage.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As far as I know it was still an option all the way through production on the 1500s. Easy enough to spot in the photos. I made sure mine came with it and like it.

C17FXR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I've been reading a lot of people prefer the Tekonsha, not that I plan to do a lot of towing, but I can foresee trailering in my future and want to be prepared for it.
That's one of the reasons for asking if the ITBC was an clue to the NNBS having the max tow package.
Guess I start asking about the build codes in the glove box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu