Bought a 2003 G80 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought an 03 4wd tahoe real cheap and in driving it home, I almost flipped it because the steering was very loose. I didn't expect alot but my first item to address is the front suspension/steering. I plan a build which will replace mostly everything. In looking at replacing the suspension, I also want to lift it via a kit vs torsion bar adjustment. Is it a waste to replace OEM parts if I plan to buy a kit, ie parts I am going to buy in a kit anyway?

What would you look at first to correct the loose steering?

We day trip to the beach often and driving 85/90 mph is not unheard of so would lifting 6 vs 4 inches safe? I've seen videos on YT of lifts as high as 6 inches being unsafe in going faster than 50mph.

TIA

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of lift kits, Mine is pretty much stock in the rear z71 package and leveled at the front with leveling keys. with the stock wheels, and deflared I like the clean look. At most I would go with a 3 inch but thats just me, Its more to do with the tires than the lift, and the CV axles wont be as stressed if you plan to go off road and load it in turns. If I were to lift it I would def. look for a way to do a front diff drop and cognito control arms. I did the entire front end from bushings to bearings and cv axles. So I would start there and at speed the higher you go the more unstable it will feel. Mine is a little bit stiffer with the leveled front than factory so I can only imagine how bad it would ride the higher you go. While this trucks can be capable they are still heavy so i wouldn't get too adventurous with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan