Bored buying used vehicles nonsense

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
in ny the inspection sticker is on the front windshield and they use a whole punch to punch out the month u got it so I used to ask for the piece that was punched out and I would tape that little piece back on and punch out December and get myself some extra time. did that for years until I got caught and got a ticket.
I'm surprised they gave you the little piece back. That must've been a fat ticket. Did they tow you? They like doing that.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they gave you the little piece back. That must've been a fat ticket. Did they tow you? They like doing that.
i actually got lucky myself in nj with registration. even from pa if they scan your plates and the plate is registered to a totally different vehicle they will nab you. bought a 97 explorer years ago and we transferred my wifes plates onto it. well atleast we paid to transfer the plates but the dealership never sent the paperwork. driving an explorer that had plates for a 99 ****** on them. apparently since its from a different state they can automatically assume something was stolen and impound it. i was being friendly and had enough evidence that proved my story so he..... wrote me up for my seatbelt.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
i actually got lucky myself in nj with registration. even from pa if they scan your plates and the plate is registered to a totally different vehicle they will nab you. bought a 97 explorer years ago and we transferred my wifes plates onto it. well atleast we paid to transfer the plates but the dealership never sent the paperwork. driving an explorer that had plates for a 99 ****** on them. apparently since its from a different state they can automatically assume something was stolen and impound it. i was being friendly and had enough evidence that proved my story so he..... wrote me up for my seatbelt.
Pretty lucky. Was it a local or a state trooper? I had a similar situation--but I was guilty AF lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
C'mon Tony, you can take one look at your Avatar pic and see how guilty you look! :chewie:

Yes, before you say it, I know that is Anthony Perkins that did Psycho!
Lol, similar. I was just curious. These cops look for out of state plates. I knowingly had fictitious plates, but I got away with it. I did have valid insurance tho--so that counts for something :D

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I never wanted to be "fresh meat" in someone's jail, so I did the straight and narrow. Never once in my long life did I drive anything that was not legal. Hell, my uncle was a cop in KC, Mo. I did not dare run afoul of the laws.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as California law sucks.... at least I don’t have to have a vehicle inspected every year to get my tags. Just has to pass emissions tests every other year, which for me is the even numbered years since my truck is a 2006. And pretty much as long as there isn’t a check engine light on and all the monitors in the system are correctly set, it’ll pass emissions inspection. This past may when my renewal notice showed up the shop I detail for hooked it up and my truck passed emissions test in all of like 5 minutes... lol. He had three other vehicles all going at the same time and because mine passed without giving him trouble he didn’t even charge me for it....

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty lucky. Was it a local or a state trooper? I had a similar situation--but I was guilty AF lol.
believe it was a state cop but he was pretty cool. id rather take a seat belt violation than having my vehicle towed. the other time i got pulled over in nj was a little ridiculous. no cell usage in nj while your driving. someone called me so i picked it up just long enough to tell them to hold on so i could pull over and set the phone back down on my seat. pulled over immediately and picked the phone back up. by that time the cop got turned around and pulled up behind me and did not give a crap. im only glad nj is so cheap for first offenses of minor infractions. that and i caught the fact i ended up with a similar problem with a different car from a different dealership. when i first bought my pontiac i used to have i bought it at a local large style dealership. fresh plates this time but again they forgot to send in the paperwork. months went by though and i definitely could have been pulled over for having a completely unregistered plate literally ever registered.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As much as California law sucks.... at least I don’t have to have a vehicle inspected every year to get my tags. Just has to pass emissions tests every other year, which for me is the even numbered years since my truck is a 2006. And pretty much as long as there isn’t a check engine light on and all the monitors in the system are correctly set, it’ll pass emissions inspection. This past may when my renewal notice showed up the shop I detail for hooked it up and my truck passed emissions test in all of like 5 minutes... lol. He had three other vehicles all going at the same time and because mine passed without giving him trouble he didn’t even charge me for it....

Colorado uses Envirotest and you will pay your $25 fee, no matter how long or easy the test is. They do place and move remote sensors around the city, so you can actively look for those online and intentionally drive by them if you want to avoid the in-person inspection. But even if you pass the two required in a certain time window before your registration renewal is due, you still pay the $25. It's just tacked on to your registration fee.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colorado uses Envirotest and you will pay your $25 fee, no matter how long or easy the test is. They do place and move remote sensors around the city, so you can actively look for those online and intentionally drive by them if you want to avoid the in-person inspection. But even if you pass the two required in a certain time window before your registration renewal is due, you still pay the $25. It's just tacked on to your registration fee.
Normally I have to pay for it. But he was hooking me up so it was cool that I didn’t have to pay. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep