Boost options for a 2001 Tahoe w/a 5.3L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thechubacon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are there supercharger or turbo kit options for the vortec 5.3L for my 2001 Tahoe and can the drive train handle it?

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there’s bolt on whipple superchargers and turbo kits. Can the 4LslippyE’s handle even factory power? No. Because it’s a 2001 like my Yukon xL it’ll definitely have a 4Lslippy. Even if you “build” your transmission more than a few psi will grenade the sprags in the trans or L/R clutches or you’ll not shift past second on a pull. That year is not the year you wanna run boost on because of the transmission and transfer case. There’s other issues like tuning but that’s pretty easily covered for a few hundred $ and a tuner unlike a 5k installed “built” transmission that’s a ticking time bomb.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there supercharger or turbo kit options for the vortec 5.3L for my 2001 Tahoe and can the drive train handle it?
The 4L60E automatic transmission found in your 2001 Tahoe is known to grenade 200k> miles on factory power. they sell conversion kits to run a 4L80E but there’s a reason why most people don’t convenience and tuning the powertrain control module if you’re in California it’s a automatic no because you’re putting 2006< computer guts or tuning in a 2001. Most people going for power get something else , swap the transmission or “build” it.

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know about the 4l60 crapping out before 200k...I have one tahoe with just short of 300k on it, another with 190 on it and yet another with 250 on it and they all are original and work like new. I guess guys who never change fluid may problems but, taken care of can last longer than 200k

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the 4l60 crapping out before 200k...I have one tahoe with just short of 300k on it, another with 190 on it and yet another with 250 on it and they all are original and work like new. I guess guys who never change fluid may problems but, taken care of can last longer than 200k
mostly depends on how it is driven I blew a handful of them up on na gas, all you gotta do is push the big pedal harder, I'm willing to bet I could break all 3 of them in no time at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts