Bolt sizes for running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I just got a good deal on some new running boards on craigslist but unfortunately the bolts were not included (the brackets ARE attached by bolts to the running boards). I took my Tahoe ('07 LS, former prison vehicle) to the dealership and they were unable to locate the bolt sizes (lol). I live in a small town so there aren't any customization shops around so they said the next option was to go to ace hardware and guesstimate the sizes. Unfortunately, ace did not have any flange bolts so now I'm stuck. Attached below is a photo from the parts department of chevy which details the different bolts needed. They were able to find the #2 bolt but that leaves #10. Also does each bolt going into the vehicle horizontally need a nut?

****UPDATE***********

Problem solved. I took the day off and found the bolts sizes at lowes. Cost for all 16 bolts and washers= $9.86. The size, just for the digital archives if anyone is looking, are M8x1.25x30mm. Running boards are on and they look solid, will upload a pic once I can find my usb cable. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Tahoe didn't come with running boards?

OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope. Barebones tahoe, missing quite a few interior/exterior pieces as well. But the running boards I bought are OEM from a '09 tahoe

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The picture you have above is of the Denali/Escalade running boards. I can tell because the diagram has a chrome trim part # on it. The running boards with the chrome trim as pictured in your original thread came on the Tahoe LTZ 2009 model's for a short period and then they went back to the normal non-chrome trimmed version.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The running boards with the chrome trim as pictured in your original thread came on the Tahoe LTZ 2009 model's for a short period and then they went back to the normal non-chrome trimmed version.

They did?! I didn't get any on MY '09 LTZ... Anyway, regardless of the fact that his pic is of Denali/Esky steps, he needs bolts -- and the bolts are the same from model to model.

I can't help you with the bolt size, as I reused all off my bolts (the new steps, like yours, didn't come with hangers or bolts).

To answer your question about the horizontal bolts getting nuts, if I understand the question, the answer is no. I seem to recall there being nutserts in everything such that you just tighten everything down with a socket wrench and don't have to "back off" any of the bolts with another wrench.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did?! I didn't get any on MY '09 LTZ... Anyway, regardless of the fact that his pic is of Denali/Esky steps, he needs bolts -- and the bolts are the same from model to model.

I can't help you with the bolt size, as I reused all off my bolts (the new steps, like yours, didn't come with hangers or bolts).

To answer your question about the horizontal bolts getting nuts, if I understand the question, the answer is no. I seem to recall there being nutserts in everything such that you just tighten everything down with a socket wrench and don't have to "back off" any of the bolts with another wrench.

Yea you got the latter half of 09 LTZ I'm guessing with the newer side moulding/Escalade bumper addition? The 09 LTZ with the ribbed side moulding that's color matched with the chrome trim came with the denali/esky running boards with the chrome trim, but NOT the escalade bumper. Weird...

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea you got the latter half of 09 LTZ I'm guessing with the newer side moulding/Escalade bumper addition? The 09 LTZ with the ribbed side moulding that's color matched with the chrome trim came with the denali/esky running boards with the chrome trim, but NOT the escalade bumper. Weird...

Dang. That IS weird. You learn something everyday -- and even then it doesn't all make sense. lol

OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input ya'll. The running boards ARE from a 09 LTZ but they didnt include the chrome trim. I don't know why the parts department gave me that diagram but I was happy to get any info from them whatsoever. Just to clarify, does anyone remember if the bolt nearest the drivers door is longer than the rest? It has a different item code and the picture below shows it to be different. The bolts along the top side of the picture all appear to be the same as the bolts that hold the bracket in place. The bolts from underneath, however, appear to be longer maybe?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
G

gmc8201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh the pic from above is one i snagged from ebay

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input ya'll. The running boards ARE from a 09 LTZ but they didnt include the chrome trim. I don't know why the parts department gave me that diagram but I was happy to get any info from them whatsoever. Just to clarify, does anyone remember if the bolt nearest the drivers door is longer than the rest? It has a different item code and the picture below shows it to be different. The bolts along the top side of the picture all appear to be the same as the bolts that hold the bracket in place. The bolts from underneath, however, appear to be longer maybe?

Yea they must be from the 2nd half of 2009. I've seen late 08's and early 09's with the ribbed side moulding/chrome trim on top and the esky/denali running boards with chrome trim. It's weird how they decided to go back to the one's without the chrome trim after doing it for a year...

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Dang. That IS weird. You learn something everyday -- and even then it doesn't all make sense. lol

I know... the general trend is every few years, the Tahoe LTZ gets some cool OEM escalade/denali parts added on that had been coming on all of 07+ models... even on the 2010+ (Tahoe LTZ's) they started coming with the chrome tow hooks and the chrome tip on top of the steering wheel's shifter/brushed aluminum steering wheel covers (along with the esky rear bumper with chrome trim)... things that had been coming on the 2007 denali AND escalade...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11