Bolt In Roller Pins -- Cunningham Machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another thread somebody mentioned getting hinge pin bushings from Cunningham Machine and having a bump shop install them. That got me looking at their site where I found these roller pins that bolt in instead of some of the other methods from GM and aftermarket sellers.

These are machined by hand from stainless steel and they claim they've never had a problem with failures as so many have complained about with the Dormans and others. Big issue with the GM is retaining from the top since there is no pin hole or circlip groove. No issue here. Very easy to install also since it comes in two pieces. Lower machined portion with the roller pushes up from below and a bolt pulls it into place.

They fit tight and some comments on their site mentioned tapping in from below with a soft faced hammer. There really isn't much room for that with the door on however. The 3 1/2" bolt they provide is just a bit short for this task so as not to bottom out when installed. I picked up a 4" bolt that did the trick though. Lodge the bottom pin enough to stay in place. That can be done by hand. Then drop the 4" bolt down from above and use a 1/4" ratchet with a 1/2" socket and a couple of extensions that reach above the fender. A few turns pulls the bottom portion into place, then remoce the longer bolt and install the one provided to snug it up.

I have a spring tool on order, so that part can't be done just yet.

PinLower1.jpgPinLower2.jpg

PinUpper1.jpg

PinUpper2.jpgPinDone.jpg

I don't think it took me 10 minutes to get this one in and might take less for the second one now that I know the steps.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pins themselves:

I laid the bolt beside the pin that way to keep it from rolling off the hood for the picture.

Pin 1.jpg

Pin 2.jpg

Pin 3.jpg

The shop is staffed by just a few people and the parts are made on site just outside Murray, KY.

Roller pins are $30 each.

I though about putting this in the Vendor section, but I don't know what the rules are for that and didn't get a reply to my inquiries.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a bushing on the top part, or does the bolt take all the stress?

Never mind, I see that's not the pivot. Good pics!

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt doesn't do anything but hold the lower portion in place. The work is done by the brass roller. Probably need to get a couple more pictures once I get the springs in place.

This in the way GM should have done it to begin with, but they don't always think about serviceability.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good write-up, thanks for posting this. Question - how did you cut the top of the old pin off? The last ones that I did, I had the door off and had plenty of room to get in there with a cutting wheel. I have another truck that needs this done in the worst way - this looks like a perfect solution.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dremel type rotary tool with (of all things) a diamond chain saw sharpening bit did most of the cutting. Switched off to a small rotary stone for part of it. Took maybe 10-15 minutes. I had room to work, but one of the add-on flexible extensions might help.

Once ground down flush, I sharpened a piece of 18" rebar down to just less than the diameter of the remaining pin. That was long enough to align and tap with a hammer from above the fender line. A few gentle taps and the pin fell out.

Might want to tie a string or something around the bottom of the pin so you don't have to fish it out of the fender well like I did. Some cloth around the area to protect the paint helps too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side's done. Spring tool arrived yesterday and I got to it this morning. Total time grinding old pin off, installing new pin and spring, probably less than a half hour if I had everything on hand and could do it without breaks.

Complete.jpg

Complete2.jpg

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a quality piece, anything is better than the Dorman junk we've been using. Did you replace the bushings too? I've not tried the Cunningham bushings yet, I did buy the GM bolt in pin and bushing kit with the grease fittings for my pickup. If I do another I'm going to try their bushings.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did buy the GM bolt in pin and bushing kit with the grease fittings
Say what now?

I have the Cunningham bushings for the left door, but haven't tackled that side yet. I'm going to take this second roller pin around to a couple of local shops so they can see it, handle it and maybe buy some of them.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say what now?

I have the Cunningham bushings for the left door, but haven't tackled that side yet. I'm going to take this second roller pin around to a couple of local shops so they can see it, handle it and maybe buy some of them.