Bogus "Rear hatch open" message, lights, and alarms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe LTZ, 104,000 miles.

Coming back from the beach last Saturday. We had been on the road for 2 hours or so, when the interior lights started flashing, the seatbelt dinger started dinging, and the console kept flashing a message "Rear Hatch Open".

I pulled over, opened and re-closed the rear hatch, and all returned to normal...for about a half mile. Then all the symptoms returned. I pulled over, re-checked the hatch door, AND the hatch window. Neither was open, but the message stopped, and all returned to normal...for another mile. Then they returned. This pattern continued for a half hour or so. Dinger, lights, message, stop, clear, continue...over and over.

Finally came to a gas station with a canopy (yes, it was raining).

I crawled under the steering wheel, hoping to find and unplug the dinger. Didn't find it, but I unplugged and reconnected every circuit I could reach, and all returned to normal.

The remainder of the 10- hour drive was trouble free.

I sure hope it doesn't recur!!!

tomas21

Reaction score
I had the hatch alert and turned out my battery was failing with 2 bad cells. Not sure but since I replaced the battery issue went away. Also got OnStar alerts battery was failing around same time.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, to ask the obvious question, is there a problem with the indicator unit? I'm not sure what they use for that, (magnet, relay, contact) etc. but if the issue never returned after your reset-athon under the vehicle, you solve the issue.
About every 4th or 5th start, I'll get the "Hood Open" warning on my dash when I start my car, it's momentary and goes away. I was driving about a year ago, on a longer road trip and the hood open warning flashed on, like you I pulled over, looked at the hood, (which was secure), opened and closed it and the warning went away. I think the compression indicator sends a false signal when I start the truck, or it's the 3rd full phase moon, and Aries is in retrograde....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts