Body removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroker548

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anybody ever lift the body off one of these things?. I have mine tore down to the shortblock, then I find out the oil pan has to come off to do the cam.

Thought it would be easy to get out now that its tore halfway apart. Wrong. What a pain in my ass. You can tell thats how the factory does it. Absolutely no room to do anything. No way the top tranny bolts are gonna go back in with the heads on. So now Im thinkin about raising the body off like you have to on the Fords.

So.........anyone ever do it??

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think it would be easier to pull the engine and or engine/trans than pull the body off the frame. Have only seen it done on youtube.

OP
OP
S

Stroker548

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd think it would be easier to pull the engine and or engine/trans than pull the body off the frame. Have only seen it done on youtube.
I dont know. The Fords can be lifted off in a couple hours.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Maybe you shouldn't be working on trucks...
Since you're being a dick, I'm going to be that guy.

Weren't you the one who couldn't figure out what size his fan clutch was?

Or thought a blown interior fuse was related to a catalytic converter code?

No one attacked you for asking some basic questions. Yet here you are belittling OP who is in the middle of a freaking engine rebuild, and all he's trying to do is save himself some labor time on the thing.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Stay humble.

Having a bad day? Don't bring your drama here. No one did anything to deserve that.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Anybody ever lift the body off one of these things?. I have mine tore down to the shortblock, then I find out the oil pan has to come off to do the cam.

Thought it would be easy to get out now that its tore halfway apart. Wrong. What a pain in my ass. You can tell thats how the factory does it. Absolutely no room to do anything. No way the top tranny bolts are gonna go back in with the heads on. So now Im thinkin about raising the body off like you have to on the Fords.

So.........anyone ever do it??

The service manual seems to indicate the thing comes out through the top. Upper bell housing bolts can be a pain to get to, but going from the top isn't always the best way. Some times you need to daisy chain some extensions and u joints together and go at it from underneath. Attached below is the service manual removal and installation process. It's a fairly long and goes into excruciating detail. Hopefully this helps?

Edit: Didn't realize I was in the '15+ forum. Hold tight, let me get the proper procedure

Edit 2: Here you go!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sulm5qjrrwythku/Engine Pull 15Denali.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the old G-Bodies, we got those top bellhousing bolts from underneath with swivels and long extensions. Going to have to do it again on the truck when I replace the plastic dipstick with a metal one soon.

OP
OP
S

Stroker548

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. For some reason it wont open for me tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr