Bluetooth stays connected after exiting vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife identified a issue on her new GMC Acadia Denali and I confirmed this with my '17 Yukon SLT. When you are on a call in the vehicle via bluetooth and then shut off the vehicle and exit it, the phone stays connected to the vehicle and continues the call. My '15 Silverado would automatically disconnect with the vehicle and go to the phone.

Is there a setting I am missing that changes it so it goes back to the phone. It is a pain in the ass to shut off the bluetooth on the phone and then forget to turn it back on.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you open the drivers door then RAP (retained accessory power) should shut off, if you are just sitting there in the truck then it will continue to stay powered for 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you open the drivers door then RAP (retained accessory power) should shut off, if you are just sitting there in the truck then it will continue to stay powered for 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door
I am used to that on my other vehicles. If you open the door, close the door and walk away the phone stays connected and the audio is in the car. You can walk in the house and still hear the audio in the car in the garage.. just does not automatically disconnect

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am used to that on my other vehicles. If you open the door, close the door and walk away the phone stays connected and the audio is in the car. You can walk in the house and still hear the audio in the car in the garage.. just does not automatically disconnect
do the interior lights stay on also? radio? try just starting the truck have the radio playing turn the key off and open the drivers door, the radio should just turn off when you open the door, if it continues to play the radio then you may have a bad door switch. if it shuts the radio off like it should then you may have some kind of software glitch for the bluetooth or it is some new feature that has been added but doesn't seem like it would be.

another thing you can try is as soon as you exit the vehicle, hit the lock button twice fast and arm the alarm, that should shut anything off that is going, but you shouldn't have to do that to make it shut the bluetooth off.

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the interior lights stay on also? radio? try just starting the truck have the radio playing turn the key off and open the drivers door, the radio should just turn off when you open the door, if it continues to play the radio then you may have a bad door switch. if it shuts the radio off like it should then you may have some kind of software glitch for the bluetooth or it is some new feature that has been added but doesn't seem like it would be.

another thing you can try is as soon as you exit the vehicle, hit the lock button twice fast and arm the alarm, that should shut anything off that is going, but you shouldn't have to do that to make it shut the bluetooth off.
The lights stay on. Dashboard lights. everything, just like you are sitting in there. If you end the call then it all shuts off. My '15 Silverado did not do this and her Lexus she just traded in would just transfer back to the handset.
I thought it was a glitch with the vehicle as it had a dead battery when we tested it out, but I checked my Yukon and it does the same thing. It is just odd.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lights stay on. Dashboard lights. everything, just like you are sitting in there. If you end the call then it all shuts off. My '15 Silverado did not do this and her Lexus she just traded in would just transfer back to the handset.
I thought it was a glitch with the vehicle as it had a dead battery when we tested it out, but I checked my Yukon and it does the same thing. It is just odd.
ok, I get it does that on bluetooth, but does it do it if you are not on bluetooth, like turn your bt off, get in start it up, turn on the radio, then take the key out and open the door (the radio should shut off as soon as you open the door)

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I get it does that on bluetooth, but does it do it if you are not on bluetooth, like turn your bt off, get in start it up, turn on the radio, then take the key out and open the door (the radio should shut off as soon as you open the door)
Works great without Bluetooth. Just like it is supposed to. You can close the door stand outside and as soon and you hang up it powers off the vehicle like normal. If you are not on the phone it works just fine. Checked both phones and did the same thing. Both are Google Pixel 2.
It may just be a software thing. I researched and there is a thread about it might have something to do with On-Star not disconnecting.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works great without Bluetooth. Just like it is supposed to. You can close the door stand outside and as soon and you hang up it powers off the vehicle like normal. If you are not on the phone it works just fine. Checked both phones and did the same thing. Both are Google Pixel 2.
It may just be a software thing. I researched and there is a thread about it might have something to do with On-Star not disconnecting.
onstar should have nothing to do with your phone call unless you are using onstar for your phone service in some way?, I understand it could still be the issue, but just clarifying if you are using the onstar service with phone calls in some manner?

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
onstar should have nothing to do with your phone call unless you are using onstar for your phone service in some way?, I understand it could still be the issue, but just clarifying if you are using the onstar service with phone calls in some manner?
Here is a link to what I found regarding the power reaming on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6530200

This is for an I phone but wonder if it may apply

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to what I found regarding the power reaming on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6530200

This is for an I phone but wonder if it may apply
Hmm, in that case I would call onstar and have a little chat with tech support, be sure to reference the (noted) issue with the iphone's and tell them you are experiencing the exact same issue with the pixel, they should be able to help

**this could be a issue from a recent phone software update since it occurs with both your vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons