Blue smoke on cold start and excessive oil consumption 2005 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback. Putting trans fluid into the oil seemed unconventional to me. Nevertheless, once I changed out the valve cover/PCV to the new design the blue smoke upon startup has not returned. We'll see if this is sustained.

dougo

Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback. Putting trans fluid into the oil seemed unconventional to me. Nevertheless, once I changed out the valve cover/PCV to the new design the blue smoke upon startup has not returned. We'll see if this is sustained.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using my dad's old farm air compressor to hold the valves up doing a spring job on my '99 Trans Am while swapping cams back in the day. Compressor failed (and spit oil everywhere) and valve dropped. :mad:
I tried that method the first time I did springs but what a PIA so since then I use the TDC method and never used anything in the plug hole, just put that cylinder at TDC and at that point it can only fall about an inch and it does it so slow that there’s no chance to damage it. If you’re worried you can actually grab the stem and lower it as slow as you want.

Cbncanada

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 06 Yukon. I resolved it by using Seafoam liquid in the oil. Initially I put one whole can into the oil approximately 2000 km before a scheduled oil change. Did the same on the new oil and changed it after 2000 km. I then run a whole can in the oil after 1000 km following an oil change for the remainder of the cycle (5000 km). The problem went away after the first oil change. The Seafoam cleans the oil deposits and refreshes the seals. This may be a cheaper first option for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kns0517