Blue backup screen of DEATH???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ses_yukon

Reaction score
This issue was intermittent but now is seemingly permanent.

It started as a “Service Rear Vision System” warning but I still had an image. Now it’s just a blue screen with the service warning. Every now and then the image pops in but not often.

I’ve read of others replacing the camera to no avail. There’s apparently a video processing module (part # 84511038) that could be the issue. But it’s $350+ and I think needs to be programmed. That, and I have no idea where it is.

Anyone actually fix this issue? Seems like A LOT of GM owners have this problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have always been of the opinion to, "back up till you hear glass or smell blood", but that's just me.

Sucks that this happens and hopefully someone here has experienced this before and knows what the problem is.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Little bump since it’s acting up again.

Only lead I have is this part: 84511038. It’s a video processing module. But it’s $400 and might need to be programmed.

Others have replaced the entire front entertainment head unit.

So tired of this money pit. Rebuilt transmission, busted AC / Tranny cooler and now this.

So any more ideas would be awesome. I see a ton of people having this issue but no real solutions.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a few things. Camera unit going bad, the processing module you mentioned, a broken/breaking wire/cable, head unit itself or just a loose connection somewhere.

In my 2013, I’ve had to replace the camera unit when I got similar symptoms. It’s the component that’s most exposed to the elements,

Might be worth checking the connection on the rear of your head unit and at the rear liftgate.

Before you start firing the parts cannon, this may be a good time to have a dealer look at it.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea which fuse controls the rear camera? All of the fuse diagrams I can find aren’t very helpful. I’m guessing it might be part of another circuit and unlabeled. Thanks!

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Tried an OEM camera unit from Amazon with free returns. So no real risk to try it out.

Unfortunately it wasn’t the issue.

I may have the dealer check into it when I get some recall work done in the near future. Maybe a software flash will snap it back into shape. I hate these weird gremlins.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Just wanted to come back and post an update for anyone trying to find a solution. I hate when you find a forum thread that is your exact problem only to be left hanging.

My issue was the under the hood fuse block. There are some hardwired relays on it that communication with the BCM and the camera. I replaced it and voila, backup camera works like a champ again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my reverse lights were also not coming on. The new fuse block fixed that issue as well. Same broken relay effects both things.

I posted a video to YouTube about the issue and the fix.

Last edited: