Blown 5.3, Looking for 6.0, which ones fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I met with the guy and bought the heads. They were from the 6.0 he has taken apart and wants to sell.

He was building a turbo motor (hence the studs). He saw motor run and worked great, then bought it. Tore it down and built it for his turbo setup. He pulled the heads and put LS3 heads on his LQ9. Installed a turbo from sounds of it.

They were tuning the turbo and had predetermination issue. He told me nothing came apart. The block and internals are all intact but the crank and or crank bearings are messed up.

I'm not sure how to verify condition of the block. I don't really care about the other parts. If the block is good it's a good deal, anything else is a bonus...

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops sorry he said detonation issues. I said pre-detonation. He pulled the motor and tore it down. They must have been pretty loud / bad detonation issues for him to tear it down... I'm watching youtube here, not that that makes me an expert on anything. They say in that case it really f's up the pistons, rods, and can mess with the bearings too. Not sure about the block? If the block is good I think $550 isn't too bad a deal. No idea what it costs to have cam bearings pushed into a block. The cost of the tool and bearings is not much. I don't know what a machine shop does other than press the bearings in for the cam... They probably check the bore alignment on the mains?

UPDATE: nevermind on machine shop prices haha. I called one, it's peanuts to have the block cleaned up and bearings installed. Only a couple hundred bucks if that.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Oops sorry he said detonation issues. I said pre-detonation. He pulled the motor and tore it down. They must have been pretty loud / bad detonation issues for him to tear it down... I'm watching youtube here, not that that makes me an expert on anything. They say in that case it really f's up the pistons, rods, and can mess with the bearings too. Not sure about the block? If the block is good I think $550 isn't too bad a deal. No idea what it costs to have cam bearings pushed into a block. The cost of the tool and bearings is not much. I don't know what a machine shop does other than press the bearings in for the cam... They probably check the bore alignment on the mains?

UPDATE: nevermind on machine shop prices haha. I called one, it's peanuts to have the block cleaned up and bearings installed. Only a couple hundred bucks if that.
I got charged $350 to press mine in.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got charged $350 to press mine in.
Damn if is that much I will press my own in and have them check em. I may build my own ultrasonic washer out of an old sub, amp, and tank.

Last time I built a motor was 2003 and they dis my heads (guides, seats, and pllished my valves), and block (acid wash and cam bearings). that was for an LT1. I thinkbbn i didnt spend over $200. but was 17 years ago haha

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn if is that much I will press my own in and have them check em. I may build my own ultrasonic washer out of an old sub, amp, and tank.

For a cleaning, inspection and replacing the cam bearings, I think it's absolutely worth $200-$300. Their labor and expertise is worth something, plus you're not buying a specialty tool that you'll likely never use again. Make damned sure you or they align the oil holes in the bearings. Some aftermarket ones come with two oil holes so the bearing will work either way it's installed.

...Wouldn't a SUBwoofer only achieve SUBsonic frequencies rather than ULTRAsonic frequencies?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a cleaning, inspection and replacing the cam bearings, I think it's absolutely worth $200-$300. Their labor and expertise is worth something, plus you're not buying a specialty tool that you'll likely never use again. Make damned sure you or they align the oil holes in the bearings. Some aftermarket ones come with two oil holes so the bearing will work either way it's installed.

...Wouldn't a SUBwoofer only achieve SUBsonic frequencies rather than ULTRAsonic frequencies?
I dont know what they qualify as ultrasonic frequency. can sily change speaker haha

I am lazy took 5 gallon pail lid and attached my RO sander to top. will let you know how it works out.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s what I’m thinking. Hence my interest in seeing what he is able to come up with. Most Ultrasonic Cleaners run in the 20kHz or higher range. The ultrasonic cleaners my company builds operate at 30 kHz.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know what they qualify as ultrasonic frequency. can sily change speaker haha

I am lazy took 5 gallon pail lid and attached my RO sander to top. will let you know how it works out.

Check out this video on how ultrasonic cleaners work. This is the company I work for and we build ultrasonic cleaners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy