Blown 5.3, Looking for 6.0, which ones fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who maybe interested in playing, where's the other part located, "Where's my rod at (pictures below)?"

I had thought if I was lucky I could swap out the rod and patch this motor up until I find the 6.0L for rebuild. It appears that's not a great option (maybe I could patch the crankcase but who knows??).

I'm going to prep this all up so I can pull it out. However, I don't have a cherry picker. I think I'll pickup one at harbor freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html

Only thing, do the Harbor Freight Engine Hoists go high enough to get it out without removing the core support? It says 89" but I assume that's at 1/4 ton capacity.

I'll likely be doing this job on my own. I'd prefer to leave the transmission in the vehicle as well when I do it (should I get a tranny jack too to hold the transmission in place?)

20201108_150432.jpg 20201108_150501.jpg 20201108_151653.jpg 20201108_151852.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who maybe interested in playing, where's the other part located, "Where's my rod at (pictures below)?"

I had thought if I was lucky I could swap out the rod and patch this motor up until I find the 6.0L for rebuild. It appears that's not a great option (maybe I could patch the crankcase but who knows??).

I'm going to prep this all up so I can pull it out. However, I don't have a cherry picker. I think I'll pickup one at harbor freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-61858.html

Only thing, do the Harbor Freight Engine Hoists go high enough to get it out without removing the core support? It says 89" but I assume that's at 1/4 ton capacity.

I'll likely be doing this job on my own. I'd prefer to leave the transmission in the vehicle as well when I do it (should I get a tranny jack too to hold the transmission in place?)

View attachment 262018 View attachment 262019 View attachment 262020 View attachment 262021

Before I break the engine free from the trans, I use a scissor jack with a board on top to support the trans. I take off just enough weight until the rear of the engine starts to rise. Once I pop the dowels loose in the bellhousing and the engine is separated, I lower the trans and rest it on the cross member with the board under it. I use a scissor jack since it provides really fine control over the lifting or lowering- really useful when separating or joining the engine and trans by yourself.

IIRC, one of these engines weighs around 550lb. That's fully dressed with the accessories, etc. You'll have the accessories off, but if you pull the heads before pulling the engine (I do this to reach the bellhousing bolts), then you'll be well under that 1/4 ton limit. If it comes down to it, you could remove the front wheels and drop the front way down. Or, if you have a place to attach over head, get a chainfall hoist.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops sorry he said detonation issues. I said pre-detonation. He pulled the motor and tore it down. They must have been pretty loud / bad detonation issues for him to tear it down... I'm watching youtube here, not that that makes me an expert on anything. They say in that case it really f's up the pistons, rods, and can mess with the bearings too. Not sure about the block? If the block is good I think $550 isn't too bad a deal. No idea what it costs to have cam bearings pushed into a block. The cost of the tool and bearings is not much. I don't know what a machine shop does other than press the bearings in for the cam... They probably check the bore alignment on the mains?

UPDATE: nevermind on machine shop prices haha. I called one, it's peanuts to have the block cleaned up and bearings installed. Only a couple hundred bucks if that.

Good call on having it done right. It took me a while to come up with a 6.0 core to build from too. $550 isn't too bad. Here is what I had done at the machine shop and what it cost me here in Socal. I still have to go back to have the connecting rods done, so that cost will be additional.

KIMG0961.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33