Blower Motor Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oreowizard98

Reaction score
When I turn my A/C fan all the way up there is a annoying "roaring" noise. I'm lead to believe the only way to fix this is to replace the blower motor. Any thoughts? And how diificult is it? Thanks

rob71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The heater core is very difficult, but the blower motor is not.

I replaced my blower resistor, which is right next to the motor and it was very easy. I pulled the motor out at the same time to check the condition of it. The hardest part was finding the correct socket - GM has used either a fractional metric sized bolt head, or some crazy size like 5/64". I don't know what's wrong with those people.

Remove the black trim/sound insulating cover under the passenger side of the dash - there are three 7mm-headed screws. If you can't find all the screws and can't pull the cover out of the way, don't force it. I cracked my A/C housing because I couldn't find the middle screw and tried to pull the cover down a little hard. The leftmost screw is over the transmission hump and is very difficult to get to. I didn't remove that one as the cover is flexible enough that you can bend it down and get access to the motor once you get the other screws out.

The motor is the big round-ish thing on the right, mounted to the bottom of the HVAC box. Other than being awkward to get to the bolts, it's easy to change out. I wasn't able to unplug it's electrical connector until I had the motor loose.

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The heater core is very difficult, but the blower motor is not.

I replaced my blower resistor, which is right next to the motor and it was very easy. I pulled the motor out at the same time to check the condition of it. The hardest part was finding the correct socket - GM has used either a fractional metric sized bolt head, or some crazy size like 5/64". I don't know what's wrong with those people.

Remove the black trim/sound insulating cover under the passenger side of the dash - there are three 7mm-headed screws. If you can't find all the screws and can't pull the cover out of the way, don't force it. I cracked my A/C housing because I couldn't find the middle screw and tried to pull the cover down a little hard. The leftmost screw is over the transmission hump and is very difficult to get to. I didn't remove that one as the cover is flexible enough that you can bend it down and get access to the motor once you get the other screws out.

The motor is the big round-ish thing on the right, mounted to the bottom of the HVAC box. Other than being awkward to get to the bolts, it's easy to change out. I wasn't able to unplug it's electrical connector until I had the motor loose.

Is it really this easy to change the blower motor?

Jimmy

OP
OP
O

oreowizard98

Reaction score
Thanx for the input. I guess that will be a project for an upcoming weekend. My A/C doesnt blow very warm until I turn the knob all the way Hot. I figured I would have warm air somewhere around the 78* mark. NOPE. Guess the heater core will be replaced with the motor.

JaymzSS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
replacing the blower motor is easy, and pretty cheap.

I do however strongly suggest NOT drinking while doing this. You basically have to lay upside down the entire time.

Booze + upside down= Ghetto Crack

Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094