Blizzard hit - no crank no start, obd not responding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for battery as well.... but that's just speculation based on info given/
Remember, Your remote start will NOT WORK if there are any current Check Engine codes
active... So don't base your diagnosis off just that

To add: battery voltage doesn't mean shit when you need to start: it's the starting amps that
matter.. You'll need to test that with the appropriate tool

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with the above. I've seen batteries that read 12v, but as soon as you try to even light a bulb they are dead. Bad cells can still give the appearance of charged.

If you don't have a load tester, you can use a multi-meter with the MIN/MAX function. It will record the lowest and highest voltage across the battery while cranking. A good battery, even in that cold, should still stay around 9v or higher when cranking. Anything less is weak and needs to be replaced.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely have the alternator tested.

Cold doesn't kill batteries. It just slows down the chemical reaction that creates the electricity/current, which simply reveals a bad cell or other damage. Heat is what kills batteries. But usually there's still enough output that the battery can start the vehicle. Only when it gets cold do a lot of batteries reveal their shortcomings.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
How’s everyone’s experience with CAA batteries?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that brand but they seem to have a good warranty. I've had good luck just using AC Delco replacements myself, but have used Crown and other brands when needed and they all functioned. The biggest thing with batterris is weight - more lead means more potential energy and more longevity.

As stated in other threads related to electrical on these vehicles.......sticking with OEM stuff seems to yield the best longterm results

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
How’s everyone’s experience with CAA batteries?

I don't buy brands, so much as contruction. AGM only for me. Two of my kids went to school in cold places - Houghton, MI (north side of the Upper Peninsula) and upstate NY. Never had any battery-related issues.
Frankly, Walmart's Everstart AGM is a good battery. That was my most-recent purchase.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted in another thread about getting a new battery. Mine has been starting 100%, quickly, but it had been tested a very recently at 38% capacity. It's been pretty dang cold (not Canadian cold, but single digits at night) and after throwing in a brand new alternator I figured I should replace the current battery with unknown history.

My issues were lights flickering at night (noticable) with the music, and random stereo/display shutdowns. (probably a separate issue, but whatever...)

Link to what I got: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/automotive-battery-group-48-odyssey-48-720

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warmed up a little, replaced the battery today.
Old battery is CAA, installed 5/21, so not that old.

However old battery reads 12.0 on charger, so it was quite empty.
Wonder whether something discharges it or alternator wants to die.

Voltage in car never read below 14-15 though.
Might replace alternator when it gets warmer as well just incase.

Everything works and drives fine so far, no issues, we will see how it holds up!
the cold discharges it :/
Lead acid batteries freeze at
+32°F when discharged

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts