BlackBear tune, still not right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and while we're talking about codes...if my cig lighter fuse was blown, would the cig lighter still work?
Mine works, so figured the fuse must be good.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...and while we're talking about codes...if my cig lighter fuse was blown, would the cig lighter still work?
Mine works, so figured the fuse must be good.
There are two different fuses for the lighter.

Sent from my fone.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The email instructions posted seem pretty clear to me and I'm not computer savy at all. Jenna bear can attest to this. I emailed them back and forth too.

I agree the online instructions suck. But now it seems like there is a simple communication error going on. It seems that they are not sure exactly what you are confused about.

I'd be happy to help you get it sorted, as it took me a bit but finally I got it after a few emails back and forth.

I do agree, there should be a phone number or a live chat box for purchases of the autocal.

Anyways, pm me if you want to set up a phone call and maybe I can help.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The email instructions posted seem pretty clear to me and I'm not computer savy at all. Jenna bear can attest to this. I emailed them back and forth too.

I agree the online instructions suck. But now it seems like there is a simple communication error going on. It seems that they are not sure exactly what you are confused about.

I'd be happy to help you get it sorted, as it took me a bit but finally I got it after a few emails back and forth.

I do agree, there should be a phone number or a live chat box for purchases of the autocal.

Phone support would not be helpful as the guys can't see what exactly is going on with the customers AutoCals. This is why the error codes are available, quick and easy diagnosis.

They do offer to remote into customers computers to help set everything up.

Sent from my fone.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant a call to me. I have a feeling this isn't anything more than some of the issues I had. It wasn't right away that I realized how to toggle through the screen on the auto cal as well as the two diffeeent screens on the desk top computer...

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I meant a call to me. I have a feeling this isn't anything more than some of the issues I had. It wasn't right away that I realized how to toggle through the screen on the auto cal as well as the two diffeeent screens on the desk top computer...
Understood, I was just pointing out why the guys don't have a dedicated phone line for EFILive's AutoCal.

Sent from my fone.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I appreciate that. The online instructions are crappy. Between the travel to TX for my initial tune and subsequent purchase of the autocal, I have the better part of a grand invested in something I can't get to work. This would've all been done months ago if they could've simply taken a few minutes to call me or send me some clear instructions- like they did for the download.

I don't recall reading that any other screens just required hitting the "Next" button to get past a screen that wasn't covered in the instructions. Had I read that, I would've done that. With no other prompts, I hit "OK" .

I loaded my tune 3 different times before I got it. Of course, the online instructions said to do the initial load for about 15 minutes or whatever it was. After that, I was told I did not need that much data. Loaded the update 2 or 3 times with no success apparently.

BBP is know to have a good product. A good product with inconsistent, vague or incomplete instructions isn't so good. 2 or 3 guys in this thread alone have said they had similar problems and had to have e-mail conversations to get it right because the instructions are not clear. Seems like they would simply sit down and fix that. That would save them and the customer from having to spend time trying to figure out stuff that should be there to start with.

The fact that BBP works with this software daily and has a clear understanding of how it works does not mean the rest of us do.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The system and software is actually made by EFI Live and BBP only sells it as far as I know. They load their tunes on it, but they don't make the system.

Last edited:

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but seems like my printed instructions had BBP logo on top.
Nonetheless, good instructions are essential with any product- especially one that requires multiple steps to get right.

I manufacture my own products and sell others as well. I would never consider leaving a set of instructions vague or missing specific steps- especially if I was getting multiple e-mails asking for clarification! I mean, tons of companies are making simple videos that run just a few minutes that make installing their products simple and clear. Post that on their website or YouTube...Bam. Done.

I just found out from Jenna yesterday that the lighter has 2 different fuses. Everything I read said to check the fuse if there was a problem, not 2 fuses. OK, so I don't know my vehicle well enough to know that the lighter has 2 fuses. I just assumed that if the lighter worked, it must be OK. It's the details. If they deal with this stuff for a living and sell it to people that don't, why not just include details that will help in these areas?

I really did not want this to devolve into a mess. That wasn't my intent. I'm just really disappointed in the process as I've experienced it. This was supposed to be simple.
It's been anything but that for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu