BlackBear does GREAT work! OP was salty and quick to jumped the gun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 4.8L was tuned by Justin in person.
2013 5.3L was tuned by second hand AutoCal from current member on TYF all via email.

Bought a cheapo PC on eBay to load tunes onto AutoCal. Followed all instructions to the T on the BB website as noted above. Even printed them out to have with me at the PC and in the truck while logging and uploading files.

I never called BB directly, but have emails saved in a folder from both truck tunes. The responses were detailed to my questions and I only had one glitch in a tune file that got resolved rapidly and directly with emails from Justin.

I have written tune reports in both of my build threads and made mention in other BB threads that come up. I have been very happy with the outcomes of both trucks being tuned, how they run and the difference between stock and tuned.

Very noticeable difference and I don't have the technicality to tune it myself like some of the guys do on here. That is worth paying someone else with 100's (likely 1000's) of tunes to their credit, including many on this very thread, to make it the way we want the trucks to run.

@BlackBearPerf So they can see the positive comments and reviews contained herein.

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d heard about BBP on here for months when I first bought my Tahoe. Never really considered doing a tune for this boat—-I’m a dad in the suburbs, and I bought this rig mainly to facilitate my role as a soccer dad. Really.

Then I learned that Justin’s team was scheduled to offer an in-person tune meet less than 10 miles from my house. And I could get a custom tune without even having to buy the tuning device.

That was too good to pass up.

Justin hopped in the passenger seat, asked a few questions, set up his laptop, and off we went. I told him that I wasn’t trying to have an 11-second Tahoe, just one with optimized trans programming & throttle response.

He tuned up the ol’ girl in under 25 minutes of driving/testing/tuning/testing/re-tuning. Worked magic on the shift points and firmness, tweaked the throttle mapping and turned off AFM. Runs great.

A BBP tune is definitely strongly recommended, whether you drive with aggressive throttle application, moderate, or even soccer dad style. No matter your driving style, you will dig the enhanced drivability every time you put her in Drive.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick comment of the Black Bear Performance tune instructions, using AutoCal. I followed the published instructions to a T, as well, and my tuning experience went very well. The difference in performance before and after the tune is very significant, and I am extremely happy with it.

I did notice a specific instruction line in the set of instructions, which I could have interpreted in two ways, but fortunately, I decided on the interpretation that turned out to be the correct one. After completing the tuning process, I emailed BBP and advised them regarding this instruction line, and suggested a slight modification which would eliminate the potential two different interpretations, at least for me. The next day, I received an email reply from Justin, thanking me for my suggestion, along with a commitment to review the existing instructions and make a subsequent revision, if appropriate.

Truly, as a customer, I cannot ask more from a vendor.

Keep up the great work, BBP!!!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am in the club of trucks tuned by Justin at Blackbear performance. I have zero regrets with my tune choice! Justin and his team are so incredibly knowledgeable about our trucks and are always willing to help. I’m not super tech savvy so getting through the correct process to setup and run my autocal correctly was quite the challenge for me. Justin and his team were there to talk me through every step of the way via email. Sometimes it took a day for them to respond. But I completely understand that as they are a small team and they keep up a pretty good response time given the high volume of emails I’m sure they get every day. Nothing but good remarks from this satisfied BlackBear performance customer!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the OP hasn’t been back to the forum since the day he posted this thread. Must feel a bit ashamed as he should. I’d sure like to know what the problem was.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly, OP did not do much reading on this Forum, particularly about BBP, before posting his comments..... Oh well, lessons in life come in many different forms.

I'm certain that virtually all of us have been guilty of 'Point, Shoot, Aim' actions on at least a few occasions in our lives. I know that I am guilty of more than a few. And if folks call us out on these instances, we can learn from them.

We can only hope that OP will use this experience as a learning experience, which will make him a better person going forward.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what other forums he blasted bbp on where bbp wasn’t there to set the record straight?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what other forums he blasted bbp on where bbp wasn’t there to set the record straight?
Good point. I know I’ve flown off the handle before or jumped to conclusions but I’ve always gone back to face the truth. He never did so he gets no respect from me.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all get off Chuck's back. Poor bastard made a mistake. I did the same thing today in a rather public place and regret it now. This forum has proven itself to be the standard that all other automotive forums should be judged by with regards to the quality and maturity of its members. Bashing one person who most likely isn't as nearly as informed or hardcore as many members of TYF isn't what made this place great.

Don't scare off potential new members by talking too much shit about one. Even if it's sticking up for a vendor most love. You guys are better than that. That's how I got here.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll blast him plenty.

Too many want to race to the internet to air their grievances rather than go straight to the person or company with whom they are dissatisfied. That’s lame. Be direct rather than leveraging the Internet as a modern day means of attempted extortion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts