Black Bear Chicago Tune

Discussion in 'Performance' started by petro55, Sep 29, 2018.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. mikeyss

mikeyss Full Access Member

Name:
    Mike
    I have 3.42 rear end, for now. I have been thinking of going to 3.73 in the future. When I keep it under 70mph is when I can see 20mph give or take a mpg. When its over 85, then its around 18 or so. Driving up Loveland Pass... 15mpg, but saw it go lower than that on the steep part.

kbuskill likes this.
  2. mikeyss

Name:
    Mike
    Maybe I get better mileage out of my L9H because the Tahoe has a 2 speed transfer case, whereas the Denali is AWD.

3. 09 L9H

09 L9H Member

Name:
    Uhhhhhhhhh
    My Tahoe has Autotrac 4WD so not sure what the difference is. Again, I find it crazy that your mileage is that good. Is your area pretty flat? I think I get about 15-16 cruising at 80, but my part of I85 is fairly hilly. Not attacking you or calling you a liar, I just want to figure out how I can get mileage as good as yours!

4. mikeyss

Name:
    Mike
    A few things I can think of are, I removed the heavy ass 3rd row seat. That's gotta be 100lbs. I also think the tune has something to do with it too. It rarely downshifts out of 6th gear on the highway, the tune gives a slight horsepower and torque increase. Before the tune, some hills it would kick down a gear or 2. I have slightly larger tires, the sidewall is a 65 instead of 55 (my speedometer is recalibrated). Someone once told me, and I Do Not know if this is true, that since Colorado is high altitude (I'm at 5k feet) that the thin air takes horsepower away (true), but it allows the vehicle to pass through easier than air at sea level.

5. 09 L9H

09 L9H Member

Name:
    Uhhhhhhhhh
    Gotcha, this all makes sense. I'd take my third row out too but my apartment is too small to have anywhere to put it haha. And yeah, my truck does have to kick down a gear to get up hills at times, plus I run 33s. Regardless it's more load on the engine. Thinner air does mean less resistance, as fluid force is directly related to fluid density. One last question: how much did the tune and everything set you back? Might try to do an in-person tune if @BlackBearPerf comes to ATL in early 2019.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    BlackBearPerf likes this.
  6. BlackBearPerf

BlackBearPerf Senior Member Supporting Vendor

Name:
    Shannon
    That's the plan, Atlanta, GA, Winter/Spring 2019!

09 L9H and mikeyss like this.
  7. mikeyss

Name:
    Mike
    I paid $550 or something like that for the Autocal and their tune, plus they will do updates from there on for free. It's a worthwhile investment, especially if you have further mods planned.
    They are good people, and I am planning to purchase ARH Longtube headers through them since they have been so good to me. Plus after installing them, they will be able to email me a updated tune to make the most power from them.

BlackBearPerf and 09 L9H like this.
  8. mikeyss

Name:
    Mike
    Do you have 2HI, Auto, 4HI, and 4LO dial?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. cmc76

cmc76 Full Access Member

Name:
    C
    I get the same squeal as Mikeyss. Slipping belt when I lay into it. Freaked me out the first time

mikeyss likes this.
  10. 09 L9H

09 L9H Member

Name:
    Uhhhhhhhhh
    Yep, I just leave it in auto.