Bilstein 4600 raised the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sure looks to me like there are spacer rings installed on the struts.

If you look at the picture you posted you can see what looks like a chrome ring sticking out the bottom of the spring cup (red arrow).

The spring cup sits down over that and it ends up there where I drew the red line.

View attachment 255134
I passed by the shop that did the installation but the manager is on vacation. I’m going to have to wait until next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing at frist but Bilstein's web site says these aren't adjustable like the 5100 so unless it came with an "accessory kit" for the 5100 by accident I'm not sure most shops would just have those laying around. I meant to ask you to measure the length from the bottom of the spring seat to the bottom of the tube and forgot all about it.
I’ll measure at some point today and post the results.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing at frist but Bilstein's web site says these aren't adjustable like the 5100 so unless it came with an "accessory kit" for the 5100 by accident I'm not sure most shops would just have those laying around. I meant to ask you to measure the length from the bottom of the spring seat to the bottom of the tube and forgot all about it.
THe 5100s have a different shock body with recesses in it for the C clip to land in that allows for it to be adjusted. I have installed both. Not sure how you'd make a 4600 adjustable...

OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
THe 5100s have a different shock body with recesses in it for the C clip to land in that allows for it to be adjusted. I have installed both. Not sure how you'd make a 4600 adjustable...
What parts are reused when installing the 4600 strut on the LTZ models?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What parts are reused when installing the 4600 strut on the LTZ models?

Not sure. Newest GM truck I've installed it on is my NBS, which has torsion bars not coils. 5100s are on my Jeep which is mcpherson strut. On that the coil, bump stop, coil cup and rubber spring isolators are all reused.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a6f65f7d8c0c102895cb44c2bd905c4b.jpg

2012 LTZ w Auto Level Control and Autoride
121k miles

I had notices the ride had become increasingly firmer to the point of the the vehicle and interior rattling when going over sewer covers and pavement cracks. I thought the shocks were worn so I decided to change them.

I installed Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts a week ago and now the front end seems to be higher than it was with the stock suspension. I did not take measurements before the installation but I did measure afterwards. The front is measuring 37.5in and the rear is 37in.

The rattling has not improved but I have noticed a big improvement in ride quality after a few days

I wasn’t expecting this to happen and I was pretty certain these are not adjustable. My mechanic believes they are adjustable after he spoke to another customer that is installing the same shocks on a Silverado. He is going to call me after they install them this week.

Do I need new rear springs? I was planning on a 2/3 drop soon.

Here is a picture of the front driver side
82e34a9dc75451c4bb650531ff7a73b3.jpg

0ab240bb9eadc45c23ecae2a46d6f629.jpg

Is that how the lower portion of the strut is installed from the factory? Looks upside down to me. I believe that bar goes underneath the control arm. If so that would make a difference.

Edit, did some googling and I guess thats how these are factory. Ive seen other vehicles with a similar lower mount that is underneath, and some install underneath for a slight drop with different hardware.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clope013

clope013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is that how the lower portion of the strut is installed from the factory? Looks upside down to me. I believe that bar goes underneath the control arm. If so that would make a difference.
They are installed above the control arm from the factory. If they are installed underneath the control arm it will lower the front end

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure looks to me like there are spacer rings installed on the struts.

If you look at the picture you posted you can see what looks like a chrome ring sticking out the bottom of the spring cup (red arrow).

The spring cup sits down over that and it ends up there where I drew the red line.

View attachment 255134
They are installed above the control arm from the factory. If they are installed underneath the control arm it will lower the front end

yeah i see that now. Edited my post.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are correct, the 5100's I ordered for my uncle's 08 came in after I made that post so I hadn't seen those yet. I was thinking of the Belltech shocks I put on a coworker's Trailblazer a few months ago that came with a bunch of different size collars you can mix and match for ride height adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11