Big Three Replace Factory Grounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dakcbeast

Dakcbeast

Reaction score
Nothing yet! The downside is that I don't know exactly what was wrong with it. I'm leaving things alone until it resurfaces that's for sure.

OP
OP
Dakcbeast

Dakcbeast

Reaction score
So.. very light sprinkling and the abs/brake flashed on and off real quick on me.

I did run a power wire and hooked an amp and subs up. Thumping! No trouble until the drizzle though..

OP
OP
Dakcbeast

Dakcbeast

Reaction score
This stuff is pricey, but good. Honestly, owning an older GM product almost requires you to have this or something like it. You're almost guaranteed to have some gremlins from loose and corroded connections (PCM, window switches, etc.) eventually:

View attachment 350657
Where would I spray this? There is some corrosion in between the wires to the pcm. If there is corrosion, there has to be bade wire right? Or possibly wet wire above it and trickle down?

I THOUGHT IT WAS OVER!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.. very light sprinkling and the abs/brake flashed on and off real quick on me.

I did run a power wire and hooked an amp and subs up. Thumping! No trouble until the drizzle though..

What exactly were you doing at the time of the abs and brake lights flashing? Accelerating? Turning? Braking? Could it have been a simple and normal slipping of the wheels that triggered the ABS system?

Where would I spray this? There is some corrosion in between the wires to the pcm. If there is corrosion, there has to be bade wire right? Or possibly wet wire above it and trickle down?

I THOUGHT IT WAS OVER!!

Corrosion is caused by moisture reacting with the metal. Air contains moisture. You have a loose connection and/or a faulty seal allowing moisture into the connection.

You spray that onto the contacting points and clean them with whatever's appropriate- small brush, small scraper, etc.

Fixing the connection might be as simple as unpinning the wire from the connector (plug), cleaning the metal of all corrosion, adjusting the pin socket so that it's a tight fit for the corresponding pin, securely snapping the pin back into the connector and plugging it back in. You can get terminal unpinning sets off Amazon pretty cheaply.

81JU1ZxYU3L._AC_SS450_.jpg

OP
OP
Dakcbeast

Dakcbeast

Reaction score
What exactly were you doing at the time of the abs and brake lights flashing? Accelerating? Turning? Braking? Could it have been a simple and normal slipping of the wheels that triggered the ABS system?

Corrosion is caused by moisture reacting with the metal. Air contains moisture. You have a loose connection and/or a faulty seal allowing moisture into the connection.

You spray that onto the contacting points and clean them with whatever's appropriate- small brush, small scraper, etc.

Fixing the connection might be as simple as unpinning the wire from the connector (plug), cleaning the metal of all corrosion, adjusting the pin socket so that it's a tight fit for the corresponding pin, securely snapping the pin back into the connector and plugging it back in. You can get terminal unpinning sets off Amazon pretty cheaply.

View attachment 351336
Possibly a bump for the abs/brake. Not sure.

The corrosion I saw was in between the shrouded wiring that goes to the connector, not in it.

Thank you.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly a bump for the abs/brake. Not sure.

The corrosion I saw was in between the shrouded wiring that goes to the connector, not in it.

Thank you.

Ah. That makes more sense how it would've been exposed. Also an easier fix.

I wouldn't say that your recent ABS and brake lights were related to the other issue that you might've fixed. Not yet, at least.

But, I'd suggest cleaning and sealing the wiring and going from there.

OP
OP
Dakcbeast

Dakcbeast

Reaction score
I'm going to take the "don't mess with it until I have to approach" for now. I don't want to get in there and mess things up to the point I have to replace the harness or really spend a lot of time on it again. I may just to look and if it looks easy enough I'll tackle it. I'll drive around a bit more to see where I'm at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts