Big Three Best Towing Rig up to 1 Ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have to admit I have owned and towed a heavy load with my 2004 HD2500 Duramax Diesel and was completely satisfied with it but since then there have been quite a big redesign on the other two US made hauling trucks. So, I ask you, even if you don't own one and you had the money, which of the big 3 would you buy for towing/hauling with that goes up to a 1 ton designation?

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to buy a new truck, either in 3/4 or 1 ton, I'd probably go with a Cummins equipped Ram (Dodge) truck. The rest of the truck is so so but the drivetrain is pretty stout. Second, I'd go with a Chevy/GMC with the diesel engine. Last would be Ford. There is a heavy ratio of heavy truck ownership down at work and die hard Ford fans are often getting Rams. Ford has had a lot of issues with their oil burners.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the styling on any of the big three. Granted, for a heavy truck it has to be a good sized unit, but some just seem TOO big.

Now, if you're not going diesel, the Superduty Fords are pretty stout and I've rented some recently for towing. I wasn't towing huge loads though. If I hadn't seen it in the mirror, I'd think the trailer came off.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
That depends a whole lot on whether we’re talking new or under warranty vs. used / no warranty.

IMO within the first 100k warranty period there’s not enough difference between the powertrain reliability to be a discriminator. They’ve all got their issues, and it’s all around the emissions and electronics. As long as someone else is doing the wrenching, I’d drive the truck I liked. Which for on highway handling would probably be the GM because it’s the only 4x4 IFS. I don’t buy 2WD anything.

If off road was a significant consideration, I’d get a Ford with the Tremor package.

If it was beyond warranty and I’m wrenching on it, or paying out of pocket, Cummins all the way.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I hope more chime in. I gotta say thought that I would stick with the Duramax Diesel truck, in any year. My brother works for FOMOCO at the assembly plant in KC, Mo. He owns Fords. He was out here on vaca when I had the Duramax. It was an HD2500. I was towing my full size 73 Blazer off road rig that was heavy and the trailer was a 2 axle over sized trailer for the Blazer and when I went off roading I always took extra tires and tools and other parts with me. That truck could haul all that and pass smaller tow rigs going up passes here in Oregon, on the way to Tillamook Forest for off roading. I could save lots of money buying a Ford with my brother's discount. Not in the market, just curious.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at trucks for towing, and while I’m planning to keep using the Yukon XL Denali until this price crisis passes, I’ve been doing a ton of reading. For my purposes towing a 6500 lb camper with the possibility of upsizing at some point, I’d buy either a Sierra 2500/3500 HD with the 6.6 gasser, or a Ford F-250/F-350 with the 7.3 Godzilla gasser. Diesels have become too complex and finicky with the emissions requirements, and the MPG difference for the way I’d use it is insignificant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan