Big Brake Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblyden20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings all. I have a 2000 Tahoe Limited that I have finally found the time to work on. I'm preparing for the future work I will have to complete and outsource to a mechanic. One area that I really need upgraded is my brakes. I've recently been looking at a full Willwood brake system, but they can get pricey. Do you have any brake system recommendations that may be the best bang for my buck? Any information that you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Julian

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WILLWOOD is about the best bang for the buck other systems cost twice as much or more

OP
OP
J

jblyden20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WILLWOOD is about the best bang for the buck other systems cost twice as much or more
Thanks for the reply, but Wilwood isn't cheap either. They're not as expensive as Brembos but they can be pricey. I was wondering if anyone used or heard anything about other companies like Baer, Stop Tech or Power Stop?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but Wilwood isn't cheap either. They're not as expensive as Brembos but they can be pricey. I was wondering if anyone used or heard anything about other companies like Baer, Stop Tech or Power Stop?
baer and stop tech are pricey also, power stop unless they make some kind of big brake kit are just rebuilt oem calipers that they then painted red

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW... Wilwood is the way to go. I know and agree they are a bit pricey but they are well worth the price. I liked the performance so much I purchased a set for all of my trucks, in stages of course. I am now looking into a front set for the Duramax (nothing available for the rears for it at this time).

Most recently I had my brakes re-powder coated changed the lettering colors and added a clear powder coat as the final stage.

Platnum drop kit.jpg 20190724_200826.jpg 20200502_200129.jpg 20200116_153950.jpg 20191001_185919.jpg

OP
OP
J

jblyden20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW... Wilwood is the way to go. I know and agree they are a bit pricey but they are well worth the price. I liked the performance so much I purchased a set for all of my trucks, in stages of course. I am now looking into a front set for the Duramax (nothing available for the rears for it at this time).

Most recently I had my brakes re-powder coated changed the lettering colors and added a clear powder coat as the final stage.

View attachment 247526 View attachment 247529 View attachment 247531 View attachment 247532 View attachment 247533

Nice trucks! What was the round about price for your complete system? Just trying to give myself and idea of what I may be spending.

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice trucks! What was the round about price for your complete system? Just trying to give myself and idea of what I may be spending.

HI Julian. Thanks for the comment. Gotta love those toys.

Prices vary. I have 5 and a half sets of Wilwood brake kits altogether. 2 of the sets I purchased used from members on other forums that were parting out their trucks. I paid 3200.00 for one gently used set. 3k for another and ~ 1200 for the half set (I think). The half set was an almost new rear set that I picked up from another member. 3 sets I purchased from Summit Racing. The 1st Summit purchase was ~ 4700.00 ish including stainless steel braided hoses. The last kit that I purchased for the 2015 Escalade was ~ 4400.00 about a year and a half ago. The prices for Wilwood brakes have dropped a little. In addition to that through summit I got free shipping and 12 or 6 months no interest which also helped.

For added reference I purchased my last set of Wilwoods through summit because it simply made more sense to me to purchase a full set as opposed to spending 850.00 on a set of front rotors and ~300.00 on a set of brake pads. Plus when I made the purchase I already had full intentions to re-powder coat the calipers and the rotor hats as the anodized finish has a tendency to dull out as do the calipers and the etches lettering will fade if you are not careful when you wash your vehicle or have brake fluid spills.

Final thought / comment. The 02 has gone through quite the transformation over the years which also served as a sort of test bed for me. When I purchased the truck it had a full set of SSBC brakes which I found to be okay but when it came time to do the brakes I decided to "upgrade". I had some cost concerns so I opted for a set of Eradispeed Baer brakes. Braking improved but I soon fouind mysfle wishing for a set of wither Wilwoods or the 2 piece Bear brake kit. So I sold the Eradispeeds for ~ $1200.00 and bought the Wilwoods. As stated prior the look and the performance was so good, It has now prompted me to go the Wilwood option every time that I in the market for brake upgrades.

Sorry about the winded reply. I hope this helps with your decison.

OP
OP
J

jblyden20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI Julian. Thanks for the comment. Gotta love those toys.

Prices vary. I have 5 and a half sets of Wilwood brake kits altogether. 2 of the sets I purchased used from members on other forums that were parting out their trucks. I paid 3200.00 for one gently used set. 3k for another and ~ 1200 for the half set (I think). The half set was an almost new rear set that I picked up from another member. 3 sets I purchased from Summit Racing. The 1st Summit purchase was ~ 4700.00 ish including stainless steel braided hoses. The last kit that I purchased for the 2015 Escalade was ~ 4400.00 about a year and a half ago. The prices for Wilwood brakes have dropped a little. In addition to that through summit I got free shipping and 12 or 6 months no interest which also helped.

For added reference I purchased my last set of Wilwoods through summit because it simply made more sense to me to purchase a full set as opposed to spending 850.00 on a set of front rotors and ~300.00 on a set of brake pads. Plus when I made the purchase I already had full intentions to re-powder coat the calipers and the rotor hats as the anodized finish has a tendency to dull out as do the calipers and the etches lettering will fade if you are not careful when you wash your vehicle or have brake fluid spills.

Final thought / comment. The 02 has gone through quite the transformation over the years which also served as a sort of test bed for me. When I purchased the truck it had a full set of SSBC brakes which I found to be okay but when it came time to do the brakes I decided to "upgrade". I had some cost concerns so I opted for a set of Eradispeed Baer brakes. Braking improved but I soon fouind mysfle wishing for a set of wither Wilwoods or the 2 piece Bear brake kit. So I sold the Eradispeeds for ~ $1200.00 and bought the Wilwoods. As stated prior the look and the performance was so good, It has now prompted me to go the Wilwood option every time that I in the market for brake upgrades.

Sorry about the winded reply. I hope this helps with your decison.
Not winded. Seems like some pertinent info. Thanks for the breakdown/suggestion. I think it's making my decision easier but more costly. I guess you get what you pay for. Hopefully, I can find some reasonably priced Wilwoods.

GatorBite

Reaction score
Have you considered doing a hydroboost conversion? Also, you might be able to install 13 inch rotors and calipers from the 07-14 tahoes, you would need 17 inch rims.

Lots of good info on this one from Youtube and Google.

I am probably going to do the hydroboost conversion in the next year or so on my 2003 Tahoe SSV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan