Big 3 upgrade question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I think what I will do is just keep all factory ground locations and just replace factory ground wires from negative terminal with bigger 0/1 and maybe 4 gauge for the headlight harness ground wire(the smaller cable going through the RVC) and replace the battery positive terminal wire to alternator since they all seem to be working for the most part other than headlights dim for a split second when fans kick on. Reason for this thread and another one which by the way I will start off with a new battery as someone suggested and go from there. Thanks again for the insight.

That's all the Big 3 is for- to improve the existing power circuit, not to reroute it. The factory circuit layout is fine, it's the capacity that could use improvement.

Once you solve the capacity issue, THEN you'll know if you have a supply (battery) problem. The Big 3 is needed to make the most of your supply regardless if its from a good or weak battery.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for understanding and taking the time to explain. As you said as well my goal is to have all the electrical system monitored by the RVC and function as factory. I have no doubt people have done the big 3 and have had success but I can't help think that some have induced electric issues like a ground loop while doing this mod by placing ground straps wherever they see fit. So instead of adding any extra wiring I think what I will do is just keep all factory ground locations and just replace factory ground wires from negative terminal with bigger 0/1 and maybe 4 gauge for the headlight harness ground wire(the smaller cable going through the RVC) and replace the battery positive terminal wire to alternator since they all seem to be working for the most part other than headlights dim for a split second when fans kick on. Reason for this thread and another one which by the way I will start off with a new battery as someone suggested and go from there. Thanks again for the insight.

I guess I could've updated this. I fixed this back in September. RVC works as designed now. 1/0 fit through the sensor with plenty of room to spare.

Here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1615659

Tyrant

Reaction score
Please ignore the dirty bay... I finished mine about 10 days ago. "Finished" replacing the existing wires, although I have yet to add supplemental grounds from body to block on the driver and passenger sides of the engine bay, and I have yet to replace the distro block to alternator charge wire.

As for the grounds running through the sensor, I ran them both. 1/0 awg w/ THICK (oversized) shielding and tech flex style sleeve fits with room to spare.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Tyrant

Reaction score
Also, DEFINITELY flip your battery. You won't regret it, the stupid 90 degree elbow that joins the fender to the firewall gets in the way for everything from jumper cables to simple disconnects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9