Big 3 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not completely but they are greatly reduced and there is much less fluctuation. Its definitely time for a battery, I have a strong feeling that's my weak link at this point. Doesn't drop to 12v when playing loud anymore. Almost blew my subs doing a demo last night because of it though

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I’m so tired of electrical problems with this thing. Back at sub 14 voltage. My connections and grounds are good. My alternator is new and 90 amps more than my last one. New battery or what

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the voltmeter is doing a little jig back and forth that has always been the battery for me

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

Is the RVC sensor below (copied from this thread) considered the voltage regulator, or is there still a voltage regulator in the alternator as with older vehicles? I ask bc I spoke with 2 mechanics, one a GM tech, who told me the voltage regulator is in the alternator and not external. I am researching this bc, as I asked in a different thread, I am told my one-month old battery boiled bc in my 06 Denali due to 14.5-15 volts from the alternator. I have to argue with Pep Boys about this so attempting to prepare a strong argument. Thank you

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after nearly two months, I'm almost got this thing figured out. There were many, many things wrong.

1. I did the big 3 incorrectly. Because of spotty information I did the big 3 with power, battery ground to engine, and engine ground to chassis ground. I did this in part because of using a Steve Meade vid for advice on it where he did the same. I re did it with alt to battery, battery chassis ground, battery engine ground, and engine to chassis ground, making it a big 4. I recommend doing this if you are doing a big 3, pretty easy to add a extra ground

2. My crimping was terrible. I wasn't using a proper cable cutter to cut my 1/0. Because of this the wire would not completely go in the ring terminals like it was supposed to. I bought a wire crimper and re-did terminals as needed throughout the whole truck.

3. My battery terminals were not properly tightened. Pretty self explanatory, I had been disconnecting/connecting so much that I just assumed they were good but they weren't.

4. Use of a distribution block. I switched to making my run of 1/0 to go straight to my sub amp and ran a separate wire to my speaker amp. Seemed to help with volt drop and cleaned up sound.

5. My battery is bad. I have a Northstar 34/78 coming this week

6. When I did my first install of my Mechman alternator, I used a incorrect sized terminal (the Mechman was a 5/16 bolt and I was using 3/8 lugs)

7. Probably not related but I ran out of heat shrink and used electrical tape. DONT DO THIS.

I'm still having a little bit of a voltage problem but I'm 90% sure it's attributed to my bad battery. I'll update this thread when I install it to report the difference and if it fixes my issues for good. What I know for sure is the changes above that I fixed have made a world of difference. Much less drop and holds higher. Much cleaner sound as well. I hope someone reads this and learns from my mistakes so they don't have to go on the wild goose chase I've been going on trying to fix this thing. Also, if your'e having these issues and you think you have good grounds, chances are you don't, trust me lol. I swore up and down my were good, went off everything I learned from youtube etc. but they were bad. Sorry to everyone that told me to check my grounds.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Northstar 34/78 AGM installed last Thursday, and I've put it through it's paces. Voltage holds steady at around 14.5-6 volts, never drops below 14.0. Still may add a secondary in the back so I'm ready for a 3k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout