Big 3 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alowerlevel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got the system together last light and I’ve ran into a few problems. My voltage is still fluctuating. I’m not sure if it’s my alternator or my battery but my money is on the alternator. I’m considering just getting a mechman 240 for it. I’ll get a battery soon after as well. Does anyone have experience with mechman alts or any company that makes alternators (besides eBay h/o alts)?

Mechman has refurbished 240a alts for 190$ right now, just ordered 1 for my truck. https://www.mechman.com/closeout-deals/240-amp-1996-2004-gm-truck-alternator-refurbished/

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using a mechman right now. Paid a lot more than that for mine. I would go with that with no worries.

I've read up on alternators a little, and found that most of the time an alternator goes bad, its just the voltage regulator. The contact brushes go bad and its a small piece with a couple of screws holding it on, you replace and reinstall. Its as simple as it sounds, and the voltage regulator is less than $20. I've fixed an alternator of mine this way before, and would only assume most of them are this way too.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase one of those refurbished ones tomorrow. Are they plug and play or do I need a voltage regulator?

EDIT: Just ordered one. Cant wait for it to come in

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it will be in working condition when it arrives, that's refurbished (used, but inspected and working).

It should be just remove the old and replace with the new, HOWEVER, the mechman one I bought had a separate pigtail. The pigtail (which is a roughly 5 inch long harness that went between the two plugs), had a separate wire that had to be ran to an accessory switch. (It has a remote wire, just like an amp). I just ran that along the main harness into the fuse box area, and found an open accessory circuit. This was for an Elite series alternator, which that one is not. I don't know about other models.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the one I got is the "base" model I doubt I'll have that. But if it does have that pigtail, what fuse did you run it to?

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or check out Steve Mead’s big 3 vid on YouTube, it shows the same as I did

alowerlevel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase one of those refurbished ones tomorrow. Are they plug and play or do I need a voltage regulator?

EDIT: Just ordered one. Cant wait for it to come in

It's plug and play, had mine installed 45 min after fedex dropped it off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my 240 today and I absolutely love it, straightforward install and cleaned up the way my subs hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26