Best way to play music from iPhone with stock radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cool 7" Sony screen got stolen, went ahead and put the old radio back in.

Anyone know the best way to just listen to music with my iPhone? Havent needed to look into that ever since I got the truck because that screen was one of the very first things I did.

Thanks

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your old radio have aux input? A long time ago I wired in a 3 5mm jack adapted to RCA.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 ways to do it.. Expensive way, and the cheap way..

Cheap way..
Its not the best sound, as you are limited to RF transmission..

The Expensive way

Does your radio have a AM/FM button, or a BAND button?
Do you have XM function?

If you have AM/FM, I cant help you.

If you have a BAND button, but no XM, you can install a USASpec BT45-GM15
If you have a BAND button, and have XM, you can install a USASpec BT45-VETTE

I have the BT45-GM15 installed on my Envoy, and love it
Installing the BT45-VETTE into my Saab today.

Its a simple plug and play kit, that also includes a microphone to allow bluetooth calls. It does Streaming from your phone for music, and apps.

This is the Vette Kit from Amazon.. Its more expensive this week than last week! I paid 140 for mine.

This is the GM15 kit

Or you can buy directly from USASpec
www.usaspec.com

AmbulanceDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2 ways to do it.. Expensive way, and the cheap way..

Cheap way..
Its not the best sound, as you are limited to RF transmission..

The Expensive way

Does your radio have a AM/FM button, or a BAND button?
Do you have XM function?

If you have AM/FM, I cant help you.

If you have a BAND button, but no XM, you can install a USASpec BT45-GM15
If you have a BAND button, and have XM, you can install a USASpec BT45-VETTE

I have the BT45-GM15 installed on my Envoy, and love it
Installing the BT45-VETTE into my Saab today.

Its a simple plug and play kit, that also includes a microphone to allow bluetooth calls. It does Streaming from your phone for music, and apps.

This is the Vette Kit from Amazon.. Its more expensive this week than last week! I paid 140 for mine.

This is the GM15 kit

Or you can buy directly from USASpec
www.usaspec.com
I know this is an old thread and I’m digging into the past here…but how’s the BT45 holding up? I just found this thread and I like idea of using a pass through device for BT. The BT45Vette has gone up significantly, to $250. But I want to keep my factory head unit, so I don’t see many other options on the market.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread and I’m digging into the past here…but how’s the BT45 holding up? I just found this thread and I like idea of using a pass through device for BT. The BT45Vette has gone up significantly, to $250. But I want to keep my factory head unit, so I don’t see many other options on the market.
I know you may have reasons for wanting to keep the stock head unit, but IMHO, the cost for options to do that are way too close the to cost of modern head units with things like:

On-screen display of whatever your phone is doing,
Apple Car Play/Android Auto,
NAV, touch-screen control of NAV and streaming music,
Display for back-up camera, one-button voice assistant (for Siri or Google Assistant to do stuff like read and send texts),
Hands-free calling

A bunch more I am missing, I am sure...

Not that an original head unit is bad, but the crazy conveniences of a modern radio head unit really have so much more to offer that can make driving way easier and more convenient. Not to mention safer, too!

$250 (even $150) now seems like a tough investment when some really capable modern head units can be had for less than $300. Not saying the stock option is wrong choice or a bad choice, because it is YOUR choice. But personally, I can't wrap my head around wanting to stay stock at this point in time, when new head units can be a real game-changer for user experience.

P.S.: Love CT! Especially, the "quiet corner" of CT. That is my favorite place to head for daytrips to chill out and see the ocean, hang out and get some great food.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree with @MassHoe04 , by the time you include chime modules, steering wheel interfaces, etc, the price goes way above 250.

That being said, my BT45 in my Saab continues to work perfectly. I can still use my XM radio too. 1 year old now.

The BT45 module in my Envoy slid of my mount and has created a static noise. But I just need to go in and reseat the plugs on it. I also bought this module used from ebay, so it maybe another issue. I admit I have been lazy, and this has been going on for awhile. Truck has been broke, so low priority. 6+ years old.

The BT45 that I installed on my Buick that I sold to a friend still works flawlessly. 2.5 years now

The BT45 that I installed on my Mercury Montego that I sold to a coworker works flawlessly. 5 years now.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BT45 works great. I was more interested in the ability to use the steering wheel controls to skip songs so I ditched the aux adapter I had that plugged into the back of the OEM head unit with a Kinivo BT plugged to that. IMO, that one sounded better than the BT45 but most folks wouldn’t notice.

AmbulanceDan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know you may have reasons for wanting to keep the stock head unit, but IMHO, the cost for options to do that are way too close the to cost of modern head units with things like:

On-screen display of whatever your phone is doing,
Apple Car Play/Android Auto,
NAV, touch-screen control of NAV and streaming music,
Display for back-up camera, one-button voice assistant (for Siri or Google Assistant to do stuff like read and send texts),
Hands-free calling

A bunch more I am missing, I am sure...

Not that an original head unit is bad, but the crazy conveniences of a modern radio head unit really have so much more to offer that can make driving way easier and more convenient. Not to mention safer, too!

$250 (even $150) now seems like a tough investment when some really capable modern head units can be had for less than $300. Not saying the stock option is wrong choice or a bad choice, because it is YOUR choice. But personally, I can't wrap my head around wanting to stay stock at this point in time, when new head units can be a real game-changer for user experience.

P.S.: Love CT! Especially, the "quiet corner" of CT. That is my favorite place to head for daytrips to chill out and see the ocean, hang out and get some great food.
I’m only trying to stick to OEM due to the Bose system and in my readings on the topic I’ve heard the OEM Bose stuff doesn’t play well with others. I have the factory in dash 6 disc. Now if only I saved all my CDs from middle school and high school I’d be all set . I did find a company that will take the factory head unit and rebuild it and add BT to it, but it was $350-400.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My BT45 works great. I was more interested in the ability to use the steering wheel controls to skip songs so I ditched the aux adapter I had that plugged into the back of the OEM head unit with a Kinivo BT plugged to that. IMO, that one sounded better than the BT45 but most folks wouldn’t notice.
I skip songs, and l answer calls, and everything else thru my steering wheel controls... when I remember to use them lol.

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure: @TollKeeper is correct. I did not get all-in for $250...

For $383.01, I did get everything to use my Bose system, steering wheel controls, and have all the modern conveniences from Crutchfield.

Boss Audio BE7 ACP head unit
Metra GM-10 Antenna Adapter
Metra 95-2001 Dash Kit
Crux CS-GMC2 Wiring Interface (Chime module/Steering Wheel Control interface)
Crutchfield Ready Harness Service ( to make all the connections on the harness and the two modules... Truly plug-n-play!)
Free instructions (not really needed, since they did all the wiring)
Free shipping
Free Tech Support with humans in the US

To get BT, on-screen display for NAV (via BT/Android Auto or Apple Car Play), control of my streaming apps, voice control using Google Assistant (or Siri), video input/reverse trigger/dedicated 12V PWR for the back-up cam I added to the order, maintain steering wheel controls, maintain chimes through speakers.

AND do it all literally plug-n-play?

I think it was a bargain for all this and modern upgrades added to my system and still have Bose amp and Bose speakers still work.

My radio install from start to finish was about 45 minutes. That was because it was cold and night time. And I was being super OCD on taking my time to do it.

May not be the choice for @AmbulanceDan or others, but I really like the sound of my Bose system and the upgrades the new head unit just do so much more for me to make the user listening experience a lot better than what I could get with any upgrades to my factory head unit.

Again, personal choices.

P.S.: I added a Boyo VTL17ir backup cam (with 0 Lux needed for excellent night visibility) and PosiProducts wire connectors (I only needed 2-3 for the came install, but wanted the rest for future).
The add-on was $49.92.

Camera install was a second project, but also was less than 30 minutes in total and I did that with no-drill required.

$432.93 All-in with cam and everything I wanted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts