Best tires for a 2017 LT w/18" wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran BFG KO2s in 285/65-18

I got 65,000 miles out of them, great 4 season traction and near silent operation.

shock

Reaction score
Michelin defender ltx m/s. Is what you seek

Michelin at’s are a nice quiet at tire that looks good too.

But the ms tire is aggressive enough for snow, quiet and a great highway tire.

^^^ This.
Great highway tire for a half-ton chassis. And still feels truck enough when you need it to. I’ve had two sets of the older version—presuming the newer versions are as good/better.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn: One of the Forum's most common recurring topics.

You did not state which Michelin tire model you are currently running. My recommendation is that if you primarily drive on asphalt surfaces, Michelin Defender LTX tires are the way to go. Not cheap, but they are good for 70,000 miles, and they are extremely quiet. They have also easily handled all adverse weather and road conditions that the NH climate has thrown at me.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to put more aggressive tires on my k5 blazers, Tahoe’s etc. I put them on there because I go camping, hunting and for snow.

what I found was that I suffered with the noise for having the benefit 1-20 days total a year. I ran the bf Goodrich all terrains. Goodyear silent armor Michelin at’s. And several others. They were all great tires for what they do but I found that I didn’t need those specialties very often. The Michelin at’s were really quiet too.
But the Michelin defender m/s really do a great job. I’ve driven in mud while hunting. Driven in snow 20” and never got stuck. Knock wood I’ve never even had a flat.
They are quiet, hold the road in snow and rain and many icy conditions. The first set I bought had me doing some evasive maneuvers in heavy rain. It sold me on the tire. I’ve bought them for the last 6 Tahoe’s that’s been in my family
When I found out I could not get them in the factory 22” size for the 21 Tahoe, I was disappointed. I did something I had never done before. I contacted Michelin and asked if they were planning to make it in the 275/50/22 factory size. Michelin has decided to make the size. Nothing to do with my request btw.
Buy once cry once. Your safety and that of your family is worth 220$ a tire

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions, on Michelins now, but their pretty done, any brand recommended?

18" stock aluminum wheels right now, and I don't mind them, look fine.

I have 4x4 but it only sees light sand by the beaches, kayak launch etc, so I am mostly looking at the best price for a comfortable, "luxury" ride, no hard core off road (more like a "Soft Road" vehicle")

Also - anyone think I should go to a couple custom wheel stores and see if they have any take-offs from someone who bought new and immediately changed out the wheels? I could do a new set of wheels, but tires need to be in great shape.

Any and All replies appreciated, thx!
I have had the same tire/wheel set up on my 17 and 19 Suburbans and they have performed well, including deep snow. How many miles have you gotten with them. How satisfied are you with them?

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat with my 2019 Tahoe with 18” wheels.
I’m debating what size I can fit with a modest 1.75”-2” lift (thanks to Bilstein 5100’s).
I think 275/70/18 BFG KO2 is about as much tire as I can fit without rubbing. If I could go slightly taller like a 275/75/18 I would.
Just want it to fill out the wheel well a bit more.
I think OP and I could benefit from anyone who wants to share pics of their bigger rubber off-road/all-terrain tires.

To the OP, my vote is BFG KO2’s.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Big fan of the BS Alenza HL on a 3 ton vehicle. Had them on a 'Sclade, Yukon and my Tahoe. Had them on one of my Lexus GX 460's and they were a tiny bit stiffer than the factory BS model tire. And while it sounds like you're not going to be in any white stuff other than sand, it won't matter to you that they are also great in snow. You may get an occasional deluge, and I found them great in the rain. I ran my trucks in "Auto" 4WD on the interstates in heavy rain and felt no hydroplaning.

Short_Haul

Reaction score
Just mounted up a set of Toyo AT2’s. Love the look, and all my off road Tacoma buddies swear by them.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was a big time defender advocate, but just found better. Conti Terrain Contact HT are buttery smooth at 95mph (dont judge), quiet, great in rain and ice/snow (better than wifes forester with stock tires), and reasonable. Bought a set for the old bag after the great Texas ice debacle. ATs look better, but with my helwigs and tune, I like to haul ass - and these are the shit. 265.70.18...19f1fa7d67974a8d383ea6b79a7dcd61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk