Best tire spoons for removal and installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get some spoons, and stuff I can carry in my mechanic kit for when I go offroading. Curious what spoons are best for this sort of thing. Also tricks to pop the bead... I see videos of people jacking up with tire under frame. However, not sure how practical that is with my truck.

Lancem

Reaction score
Living in the wilds of south west Texas where just getting to my house constitutes 4 miles of what most would call off road, I'm thinking in my experience here you would be better off with a good plug kit and an extra spare. When I get a flat that requires the tire to be broken down typically the tire is unrepairable. Here we carry two spares, when you put the first one on, it's time to head home and hope that the second gets you there. Our two problems here are mesquite and greasewood punching holes that can be plugged, and rocks that punch a hole you can stick 3 fingers in, then it's time for a new tire :(

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a plug kit as well... quite invaluable. Partly i want the spoon kit for home use as well. The tire shops are getting overzellous with their safety concerns. Demanding sale of unnecessary tires. Kind of want equipment so I can do more tire work at home. If it doubles well for trail all the better :)
Living in the wilds of south west Texas where just getting to my house constitutes 4 miles of what most would call off road, I'm thinking in my experience here you would be better off with a good plug kit and an extra spare. When I get a flat that requires the tire to be broken down typically the tire is unrepairable. Here we carry two spares, when you put the first one on, it's time to head home and hope that the second gets you there. Our two problems here are mesquite and greasewood punching holes that can be plugged, and rocks that punch a hole you can stick 3 fingers in, then it's time for a new tire :(

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Lancem

Reaction score
In that case check out https://www.alltiresupply.com/collections/mount-demount-tire-tools/mount-demount-tools_tire-spoons

I think this place has about every tire tool available. Be aware that working with spoons can be a PITA and if they get away from you can hurt like hell when you get hit with one! Don't ask how I know that :)

Breaking the bead will be the hardest part, using a jack works well but you need be able to hook the jack to something.

I know what you mean about tire shops too, there is one within 60 miles of me and won't order in or install tires you bring in, shop policy crap, so I fixed that with this and now get all of my tires from Amazon or Ebay.
tire changer.jpg

I was using a Harbor Freight manual machine, which for the money works well, but I'm getting too old for yanking on bars, so stepping on a pedal and having air do the work is a plus for me!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case check out https://www.alltiresupply.com/collections/mount-demount-tire-tools/mount-demount-tools_tire-spoons

I think this place has about every tire tool available. Be aware that working with spoons can be a PITA and if they get away from you can hurt like hell when you get hit with one! Don't ask how I know that :)

Breaking the bead will be the hardest part, using a jack works well but you need be able to hook the jack to something.

I know what you mean about tire shops too, there is one within 60 miles of me and won't order in or install tires you bring in, shop policy crap, so I fixed that with this and now get all of my tires from Amazon or Ebay.
View attachment 210093

I was using a Harbor Freight manual machine, which for the money works well, but I'm getting too old for yanking on bars, so stepping on a pedal and having air do the work is a plus for me!
Oh my gosh.. I want one of those mechanical tire stations! I am going to keep my eye on ebay now.

Curious how do you balance them? Do you use a bubble level or take them in?

Lancem

Reaction score
I use a Harbor freight bubble balancer, works great.

Keep an eye out on local craig's list for the tire machine. I got lucky and found this working Clark unit for $300 in Dallas, and had a friend check it out and bring it down for me, about a 10 hour drive! Clarks are nice as they are still in production and all parts are available.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for the tire system... but got the irons first lol I did see one for sale but was like $1500.

I ended up trying my first tire. I learned the hard way, is very important which way you orient the tool. I scratched the crap out of the front of the rim... Then did it correctly on the back and didn't scratch it at all on the back of the rim. Used a bottle jack and set the tire under the frame of the truck to pop the bead. I discovered in the process that somebody had patched the sidewall before. It ripped the tire there while under pressure so I have to throw the tire away.

Curious, I don't think it's an issue but did I wreck the rim? I'd think not but never worked on this stuff before (Pics in next post)

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a patch near the sidewall that seems to have rippef using the jack bead popping method. However curious if my poor use of tire irons would have wrecked the tire anyways. You can see on tire bead where the iron dug in and chipped the tire.
545ddd5097845838c8717b8f8eec5085.jpg
5551062c19fa57a1dc30f918d6706fc7.jpga6660924eecd19ad7ec5920a8f32d363.jpg38f771baaab271cf527e66a523d08614.jpg
b1dbf71d4e83455fae5fc3195d64e8fc.jpg
bc998b0958f81702800534b718d5c0d4.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The deep Aussie bush drivers have to run tubes, mount a beefy tire on that and bolt another tire on to that to take all the blows and projectiles.

Couldn’t find the pic of it, but it’s a gnarly set up that works out in BFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The deep Aussie bush drivers have to run tubes, mount a beefy tire on that and bolt another tire on to that to take all the blows and projectiles.

Couldn’t find the pic of it, but it’s a gnarly set up that works out in BFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds wild! I'd love to see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17